1. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I'm hoping to make it this year. I couldn't make it last year.

How did the new hotel pan out? I mean as far as trying to park something with a trailer? The hotel we stayed at in 2015 was nice but we had to park our trucks/vans and trailers at an elementary school due because the hotel only had and underground parking garage.

My father and I went in and bought a trailer together, so this year I can load my car up a couple of days ahead of time instead of renting a trailer from U-haul the day before and having to rush and all.

I'd also like to beat the rush hour traffic on I-66 before getting into DC.

In 2015 we couldn't park at the school until after 5 which is when everybody around DC is getting off work. I'd like to make it to the hotel on Friday around 2 pm. Thinking I might be able to dodge most of the traffic before people are getting off work. Or is there anyway to avoid traffic period on I-66?
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Def going. Might even have a pickup and trailer of our own by then. It's a good time!
    BillB likes this.
  4. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Here is the hotel we used last year. It was really nice and they had plenty of parking for trailers on site. It is a short drive to the Spy Museum and pretty easy to get to.
    BillB likes this.
  5. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

Caleb, Is the hotel you listed where most of the travelers stay? Sort of the semi official place to be?
    Long way off still, but planning needs to start now (for me).
  6. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

This is where a decent group of us stayed last year. It was about 5 cars total that stayed there. Nothing official or anything just a few of us that decided to all stay there.
    BillB likes this.
  7. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

Thanks, that's 5 times more than I've ever had the pleasure to meet with. I'll mark the Virginian Suites Arlington as the place to stay
  8. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

I have only been the last 2 years. Both times we shopped around a bit with hotels trying to find the best rate. If you find something you think may be a better option or a better price post it. I don't think anyone has ever been set on one single hotel having to be where they stayed every year. This particular one just worked well with parking trailers and proximity to the Spy Museum.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  9. turbofiat124

Dad says he is willing to make the trip with me. He is a pro at backing in campers and trailers. I'm paranoid I'm going to get in a tight spot and can't back it up. I need more practice before I feel 100% confident about backing in trailers. Whenever I got in a bind with my 4X8, I'd just disconnect it from my Subaru and move it around by hand. LOL!

Bought a new double recliner yesterday and was trying to get the trailer as close to the front door as possible since this thing weighs over 200 lbs. I ended up tearing a chunk out of one of my boxwood hedges in the process with the fender off the trailer! It looks hideous!
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  10. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

plan to be there
    Hotel last year had parking for trailers but tight.
    Easy to get to Spy Museum though
  11. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

i may go but dont think i would bring a car as it is way to far to trailer from Az
  12. VADOC

So far, plan to use November 2nd as travel day, going into DC 3rd , and then Parade 4th
  13. VADOC

Just made reservations at the Virginian Suites
    Arrive on Thursday Nov 2, Depart Sunday morning Nov 5th
    $122, not too bad for DC
  14. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Puttering Along

If I get the 601 back together. I should make it... I'm 80 miles away.

Its a straight shot on I 66 for me.

All this depends on my progress with the car.
  15. VADOC

You don't need to have a car to come, everyone is welcome
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  16. turbofiat124

I'm hoping to make it. Unless Dad cancels out. He's my backup driver.
  17. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

I booked my room at the hotel.
  18. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

Reservation made and confirmed!

Looks like (7) so far?

How about a "Who's going and car info" list?

Bill Bonow
    1989 Trabant 601S de Luxe
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  19. turbofiat124

I'm planning on going. I haven't booked a room yet though.
  20. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

Andrew Burzynski
    1985 Trabant 601
    BillB likes this.