1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

I was getting ready to do the left rear brakes today, and noticed the wheel has a shocking amount of play ( usually means bearings- or not tight enough).

Anyway, I just happened to have 1 set of wheel bearings new. So I took the swing arm off...

Now I have a few questions:

I gently tapped the shaft out the rear of the hole, the bearing came with it. Also a piece of pipe spacer(this is a later model car), I thought there should be a spring too. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

Should it have been this easy? You see why I ask in a second...:eek:

After removing the snap ring I knocked out the other bearing, was much harder-but still did it with a socket and hammer.

I pressed it off, and on- new bearing on the shaft.

Put it all back together and,........... IT STILL WOBBLES EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!:confused:

Like a D*&K in a shirt sleeve.

Now what's wrong here? Is it the wheel hub it self, the axle shaft, or the housing worn out...

Either way this means the parts trabbi gets another wheel taken off.

One week to go till my 300 mile round trip run to the Carlisle PA Import Auto Show.

Cuttin it close huh? :D
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

bearings should be tight in the swingarm. if not, a new or used one is way to go. :)
  3. A Spooky Ghost

Thats the thing, the bearings are new...
  4. A Spooky Ghost

Alright, took a look at it.

For those of you playing the home game, the answer is C the housing is worn out. o_O

Never had a vehicle that this was worn out on.

My guess is years ago a bearing locked up, and spun on the outer surface.

I can see where someone tried to dimple with a punch, the inside mating area.

Either way, the axle housing from the parts trabi saved the day.

Now all of the wheels are tight, with no wobble!

Three wheels have all new bearings, the RR has had it replaced(not by me) , looked and felt fine-so I left it alone.. This will probably bite me later on! :D

Now off to bleed the new brake system.
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

What if you have the housing "bored" like a cylinder and use a bearing with a slightly larger OD but the same ID as the correct bearing? The numbers on the bearing represent the ID and OD and thickness.

I guess you have read this before but I used sealed SKF bearings on the front (same bearings used on the rears on all models) which eliminated all those shims and washers that goes with it which I think are related to holding the separate grease seals in place so these pieces are now obsolete.

Getting a machine shop to do it in a timely manner is the problem. Around here machine shops are horrible at turn around times. I took this one shop a Volvo T3 turbo I just so happened to buy at the Carlisle spring show for $50 and asked them to machine down the exhaust flanges so it fit the exhaust manifold and down pipe flanges on my system. The Volvo T3 doesn't use gaskets but my system does. He says, "Might be 6 weeks before I can get to it because I'm backed up"... He eventually got it done but it was 6 weeks.

I'd like to come back to Carlisle one of these days. I went from 2002 to about 2006 and every year it rained and I froze my ass off. I did not think it being that cold in May in Pennsylvania. It's almost 90 degrees today. Only one year did I attend it was 80 degrees and no rain.
  6. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Dont know what the next size bearing is, but there is not much material to machine from before it gets thin. a good used one is way to go, or have it welded back up and rebored, but that is probably expensive. :)
  7. A Spooky Ghost

Since mine is a CV axle car, it already has sealed bearings in the front(fit a VW rabbit from late 1970's). If time would have allowed it, the rears would be sealed as well. Put in new seals though,

Yeah it has rained several years in a row now for that show... I've never been, what ever screwy car I had at the time- wasn't ready.

I would go with a larger od bearing first( after measuring well. It would be a royal pain to set up the whole swing axle, to bore it out. Looks like that backing plate will come off with the bolts/ rivets knocked out. Don't know about the hub.

Either way I needed a fix ASAP...

Thankfully, I have that crap parts car. The housing is perfect.

Put almost 200 miles on the car in two days so far.