1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Have any of you fine folks used a different type of shock, on a leaf spring 601?

Just curious about this, as I find no other options-than the original style.

I like smooth ride!:D
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

3. A Spooky Ghost

I'll look into them. The shock in that link look identical to the ones I put on a caddy eldorado. I think the trabbi uses the top stud style. I'm going to take one off the parts car, and do some measuring..
  4. A Spooky Ghost

Popped off a front shock from the parts car. It still seems to work!

Anyway, it measures : Extended-14.5 inch
    Compressed- 9.75 inch

Lower bolt hole-12mm
    Outside of lower mount -1.25 inch.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've found several selections, in this size range. They are all for misc. Suv's.... The closest in size is a Daihatsu Rocky. Yes they will bolt in place. Me thinks the ride would be alot worse though.

Maybe I'm wrong? Here is one for a honda passport. Perfect in size.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/32336/
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

TnTrabbi told me he used some from a Chevrolet.

When did they go to coil springs? Same time they went to using CV joints? In 1984?

I don't know if the shocks between the leaf spring and coil spring versions are the same. But you said you pulled one off your older Trabbi and it fit?
  6. A Spooky Ghost

Me thinks they went to coil springs in the late 80's. So all leaf spring cars, use the same setup. Yeah that shock is exactly the same for my car. My other trabi is newer than this one! Wouldn't know it by looking at it.....

The coil cars have a different spring.

I found in the service manual, they talk about taking it apart, and adding fluid. Now the one I pulled off, still works fine by hand.

601shock.png 601s2.png