1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

****Must have been discussed at length before...but, as I am nearly finished with my connecting-up of all the original wiring looms, that I inherited with my car...Please can someone point me in the right direction on the forum, or with some pics/diagrams?
    I inherited the car, with its' engine out...However the Ebze black box had all its wiring in place...but, obviously NOT connected to an engine.
    The engine that I have, that appears to be the original one, from the eng. no on all paperwork, appears to have the Ebze electronic, 3-terminal set-up?....However, the black box has TWO main black-sheathed cables coming from it???....On some spare units that I have, sometimes, ONE OF THE TWO, ALWAYS APPEARS TO BE SURPLUS TO REGUIREMENTS AND IS COILED-UP?...The other one in my case, has various ring terminal -equipped cables coming from it. However, these are too numerous and too short to go to the ignition housing/connections on the engine?!
    I WANT TO USE THE appropriate cable and wires to connect-up to the electronic ignition and put the other correct cables onto the 2 x coil + and - terminals CORRECTLY.

Any concise help WOULD be very much appreciated, ..so that I do things correctly and don't burger-up my electronics, etc. on START-UP, eventually!!

****ALSO, I am upgrading to a modern BLADE-Type fuse box under the dashboard and wandered if anyone CAN help with knowing what fuse/circuit does what, for simplicity...1989 601s saloon.

Many thanks all!

Enjoy the CURRENT, sunny weather in the U.K.......

Ian.
  2. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

I put a modern blade style box in mine. I just wired every as it was on the original fuse board. Only a couple of wires went to a extra fuse. This was just to make life easy and reduce the many wires going to the one fuse terminal.

Andy.
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Hi, Ian, take pics of everything and post them. Might help.
  4. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

I'll have an EBZA car here in a couple of weeks I'll be eager to crawl all over. If you still need info then, I can take a look at my setup.
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I can't help you with the EBZA system.

I don't think the 6V diagram I have is the same for the 1989 model. In fact some of wires for my car are not even the same color based on the diagram! Someone posted a photo of a flasher module and theirs has 2 or 3 blue wires connected to it. Mine has a black, black with white tracer and green wire with a yellow tracer!

I've pretty much given up on going by the wiring diagram for this car. I just trace each wire down.

However concerning the fusebox. Replacing this thing with the ATO type is the way to go. This solved a bunch of my electrical issues. The original fusebox was (is) a fire hazard. I aimed one of those heat pens at the headlight fuses and seem to recall they were around 150F/65C with the headlights on. Some of the insulation on the wiring was melting.

To make matters worse, one of wires going to the headlights had such a poor connection, the previous owner had disconnected it and connected it to other fuse. So I had two headlights running off a single 8 amp circuit! To give you an idea how bad these ceramic type fuses are, the circuit was pulling about 16 amps through a single 8 amp fuse. By all accounts the fuse should have blown but these type of fuses tend to blow only when the circuit is shorted. They don't blow based on current and I don't know why. You would think they would. If you use an 8 amp fuse and your pulling 16 amps through it, it should blow. I've experience this same thing with my Fiat and Yugo which uses the same type of fuses.

Here's some photos I took of my ATO conversion to give you some idea how easy it was. I cut the bracket out of a piece of aluminum the ATO fusebox bolts to this. Then drilled some holes in the adapter plate for the bracket that went to the original fusebox. Just in case, I applied some rubber material between the adapter plate and the fusebox just in case one of the connectors might come in contact with it.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Trabant?sort=6&page=7
  6. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Many thanks all, much appreciated!

Regards.