1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. Hello Everyone...Just a note for those of you who do not check the For Sale Section often, but I am selling my Trabant for $2500. Link is below, if you're interested, reach out to me. http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/price-drop-1984-trabant-limo-for-sale-clear-title.43437/
  1. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Puttering Along

Hi every one in Trabbi land!

I've been pondering this one for a while, our 601 is for sale. Since getting it running, I've done nothing with it. Always some other screwy car that takes me away from it. Now a Renault r4 van showed up- so the trabbi needs to go! :)

I got it with the engine disassembled(had a hole in crank case!). No bumpers,rotten gas tank.

Anyway, with the help of Mike Annen, he sold me a rebuilt engine, spare hood, bumpers, good gas tank, and a spare wheel.

The car has been sitting for many years before we got it. Had a screwy tow bar welded into the front fenders.

The biggest issue with it is the rust in the exhaust, corners(behind grille, near the firewall, corner of trunk, spare tire well, rockers). The floors/ middle frame area actually look fine.

The E brake still works. Shifts well into gear.

It has a clear VA title in my name- for what ever reason it is titled as a 1960, but it is actually a 1985. This is how I got it....

Instead of letting it dissolve this winter outside, I want to find it a new home. I'm asking $2100.00. I'm open to a reasonable offer, and or trade for other screwball cars.

"Please make me an offer, the worst I can do is say no!"

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    BillB likes this.
  2. A Spooky Ghost

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  3. A Spooky Ghost

4. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Wow, it's in pretty bad shape. Personally I wouldn't give you $500 for it. My 1983 601 I paid about $600 last year was in far better condition than yours. I know you have to factor in importing one to the USA. Maybe someone will buy it for parts.
  5. A Spooky Ghost

Primarily the worst thing about it is the rust around the corners. Quite solid underneath. Has nice seats though. I was going to quickly slap it together, and fly down the road. Done that way to many times, and I always say I should have fixed it the right way....

With anything good, it takes time......

Suppose I need to whip out the mig welder and get too it. Then it would need the basics any old car sitting does. I imagine I'll still have it after the winter, so maybe it will get rebuilt then.
  6. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I dunno. I’d say he has at least $1000-$1500 in viable parts between engine, transmission and the fact it has a clear title with VIN plates.

7. ummeli

ummeli Puttering Along

I'd happily buy the seats and the steering wheel, but I'm sure you want to sell the whole thing as one. Good luck. :)
  8. Robert tamas

Robert tamas Puttering Along

If you want to part it ill buy the complete body ,dont need any interior, or powertrain let me know
  9. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Moderator

If you get to that point, I'd be interested in the front power train clip (engine trans and front suspension assembly).
    That will keep disassembly work to a minimum.
  10. Robert tamas

ill give you $1000 for the body as I described
  11. ummeli

ummeli Puttering Along

Wait... so the three of us--robert tamas, BillB, and me--are each interested in different sections of the same car? Could we actually do a three-way sale?
  12. BillB

I guess that will be up to Adam if he still wishes to sell and if so, then part it three ways.
    The car is in VA (I think?), Robert is in Detroit, Tom you're in Southern Ohio and I'm SW of Chicago.
    Two big factors. 1) Labor to part it out and 2) Logistics of transportation.
    I'm dumb enough and have the space/capabilities to perform the parting out of the car (my tetanus booster is even up to date!)

Let's see if Adam wants to sell or take on a winter project.
    Then we can move forward with a plan.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  13. Robert tamas

Im game, its up to you adam the ball is in your court
  14. A Spooky Ghost

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply. A big Thanks to BillB for letting me know of the interest in it. I haven't been checking the page in a while.

I'm not against parting the car out. It is really easy to take apart, and I have the time, tools, and space. The irony is I was looking at the car today(before I knew about the interest). Right now it is full of bubble wrap. :p

Yes it is in Virginia 22644(about 70 miles west of DC).

So who ever is interested please PM with a phone number, and we can go from there. Short of boxing parts to mail out, I have no way to send out the parts(unless local pickup). U ship has always been good to me!

I have a good gas tank, spare cracked up hood(with good frame), and two bumpers as well.
  15. Robert tamas

16. A Spooky Ghost

A update on the car..

It is still for sale- as of now. Robert had some serious mechanical issues, and is not able to get it, for awhile at least.

I keep pondering about welding it up, and slapping some parts on it.

So If anyone would like the car, please send me a PM with a Name and number.

Thanks for your interest.
  17. BillB

What a bummer.
    Robert and I had a great little "Trabi Spares" program worked out.
    I feel terrible that Robert had such bad luck.
    Adam, sorry it didn't work out. :(
  18. A Spooky Ghost

Always seems to be like this. With this 601 in particular. The guy broke down bringing it, I broke down going to go get a engine for it, and Robert had an engine turn into a paper weight on the way here...

Is the car cursed? :eek:

Not to mention before all of this, someone exploded the original engine, then welded a tow bar to yank it home....

I am running the numbers on fixing the mechanical stuff(dependably), and driving it around. Maybe have enough left for some discount roll on paint" Who likes zebra stripes?" o_O

Really it is down to safe-brakes, tires, and an exhaust- the other crap matters little!

Seems 90% of owning one is getting it home, and titled..

19. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Seems like my upcoming 2000 mile odyssey is going to be SOME challenge! (see my posts re this journey elsewhere on this forum). Will it stand up to the daily high mileage (for a Trabbi) for 11 days? Well we shall soon find out. Daily vlog will be uploaded to Youtube.
  20. A Spooky Ghost

For anybody reading this, yes the car is still for sale. It will remain so, until I post back other wise(i'm not one to never reply back to a forum posting!- that drives me nuts...)

The trabbi is way down the "fix it" list. I'm getting ready to fix a Renault R4 van thingy, and possible another Peugeot.

Der Trabbi just sits.....

Justin likes this.