1. Hello new friends and Trabi aficionados!

I have just moved to Berlin and bought a 1973 Trabi. It's only done 22,000km and looks in great shape. It's got two years valid TÜV and runs as well as one can hope.

I took it for a test drive today and the braking was slightly terrifying, it needed a lot of force, but I think this is quite normal for a Trabi, particularly the older versions.

The only obvious defects were that the light and wind screen switches seem to be broken. The indicators work but the lights don't switch one when the knob is twisted and there is no clicking sound or feeling when I twisted it. I imagine this requires replacing, is it very tricky?

I have found the dropbox of the English language manual and the link seems to have expired. Does anyone have access to a working link?

Look forward to hearing back!

Attached Files:

2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Welcome to the forum. The brakes shouldn't be scary. Be careful! How did it get TUV with these issues? After thoroughly checking out the brakes, I'd check the fuses for the lights and wipers. Then I'd go around making sure all the connections are good behind the dash and at the relay.
  3. aardvark64

aardvark64 Puttering Along

Welcome!

Brakes can be fun: if you're used to modern ABS systems, the old timer drum brakes can be a little exciting even when they are working properly. Depends on what you are used to. Also, the drum brakes can seize up if not used for a long time and not be effective at all. Or they squeal the first couple of times you use them and the car may pull to one side if one of the front drums takes longer to free up. They do usually get better with use though.

If the brakes don't get better with use, the wheel cylinders may have seized and will need to be refurbished or replaced. Try sitting in the car with the engine off and pump the brake pedal a few times. If you can hear clicking from the front/rear cylinders when you push on the pedal then the brakes are probably are okay. Depends on how much of a mechanic you are: either take the Trabi to a garage or read some of the how-to posts on the forum.

Ditto for the light and windscreen wiper switches. If the fuses and wiring are okay, the switches can be dropped out easily enough and replaced. Parts are easily obtained from the likes of LDM, Reich-Tuning, Trabantwelt, Ost-Mobil, and so on. Shop around.

Happy two-stroking!

MfG

Colin
  4. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor