1. Phil Tracy

Phil Tracy Puttering Along

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/5951830491.html

2.jpg

Interior is best I have seen on one. And 34k on the odometer and garage kept from Jersey shore...Vacation home car maybe?

I still like Yugo's, I think if they had better build quality they could have been a 1980's Kia easily.

3.jpg 4.jpg
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

All this talk about Yugos make me want to get crackin' and replace those worn wheel bearings and tie rod ends and put the car back on the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Phil Tracy

Phil Tracy Puttering Along

I like your paint and trim, is that factory?
  4. turbofiat124

It's a factory Yugo blue. I think the cars came here without pin stripping. I added it.
  5. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

i dont think theres many yugos left in the uk they were not popular and the scrapage scheme from around 10 years ago seemed to finish them off as it did a lot of the lower value cars
  6. turbofiat124

Yugos sold like hotcakes over here in the US for the first 2 or 3 years. I remember the local VW dealership started selling them in early 1987. During the summer, they ordered so many, they didn't have enough space on their lot to store them so they rented space from a defunct lumberyard down the road. I came home from school one day and saw about 10 heading in one direction. Once they dumped them off at the dealership, the salesmen drove them to the lot. How they got home I don't know!

Then when people starting having issues, sales dropped off around 1989 or 1990. The cars were probably not the best build quality to begin with but they could not hold up to the abuse that most Americans put on their cars.

Other issues. Dealership installed radios and air conditioning systems added about $1000 to the car which already sold for $4000 new.

No automatic transmission option may have been another issue. Some of the very last Yugos sold in 92 did come with automatics but it was less than 1000. They were made by Renault.

The inner door handles were one issue. If you grabbed the very end, they broke. I found the best way is to grab the base of the handle then pull.

The main issue was the cars had build quality issues when they left the factory. So allot of these cars came to the US with issues that had to be sorted out by the dealership after the customer complained. Apparently Zastava did not do an inspection like what was shown in the Trabant production videos.

I heard that Zastava actually set up a separate assembly line for Yugos destined for the US and Germany and gave the workers extra time to assembly the cars because they said Americans and Germans expected better quality!

But once all the bugs were sorted out, the cars were not that bad. They just couldn't hold up to a lot of abuse.

I'd say the biggest issue was the chassis. They tended to crack in the engine compartment. I had to weld up multiple cracks on mine. I think my home made strut tower brace and "4th" engine mount helped that.
  7. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Yep Skodas and ladas were popular in the UK ,they were extremely cheap and reasonably reliable . Yugos and FSO seemed to have a really bad reputation ( much worse than skoda/lada) and I don't think many were sold compared to skoda/lada . Dacia is the current 'budget' car in the UK although Chinese jeeps have appeared recently. I suspect in another ten years Chinese cars will be the new budget choice
  8. turbofiat124

We never got the Skoda (old or VW platforms) , the Dacia or FSOs or Ladas.

It seems the only communist countries allowed to sell anything in the US during the cold war era was stuff from Yugoslavia and Hungary.

Yugoslavia: Pez dispensers, other household items
    Hungary : Tungsram Light bulbs (now owned by GE)

I read VW had no plans to sell the Skoda in the US. Something about Skoda might cut into their VW market or something.

A few years ago the Chinese was going to sell a car called the "Cherry". But the name was too similar to Chevy.
  9. staplerformilton

staplerformilton Puttering Along

in the early 90s Jay leno started to make regular jokes about Yugos on the Tonight Show. Wasn't much longer after that before they disappeared from car lots altogether. Maybe just a coincidence, but I'm sure the negative advertising didn't help.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.