1. rmcdaniels

rmcdaniels Newbie

My carburetor has dumped fuel down the throttle body. Is there a crankcase drain plug to get the gas out of there? I only see six big bolts that look like main cap bolts.
  2. aardvark64

aardvark64 Puttering Along

Nope, but I wouldn't worry. The petrol is volatile, so let it evaporate a bit. If the body is completely full, then mop it out or syphon off the fuel. Then turn the engine over slowly by hand.

What could possibly go wrong?

How did that happen, by the way?
  3. rmcdaniels

rmcdaniels Newbie

That was my next question. I put some gas in the car for the first time today, and it poured into the throttle body (and out of the cutoff valve and the holes in the gas tank). I had taken the top off of the bowl and the float before I put gas in it and the float operates smoothly, the valve closes correctly, accelerator pump operates smoothly, and it was pretty clean in there. Looking through the manual, while it is for a different carburetor, it does say that the fuel level in the bowl should be 22mm below the top, which it is not (not even half that), so I'm thinking that I either need to shim the valve (per the manual), or maybe just bend that brass tab on the float a bit (per what looks easiest). I'm assuming that it does close, because it doesn't come out of the top of the bowl, but somewhere inside the throttle body that I can't see. I'll pick up a small boat tank in the morning, adjust the float valve, and try it again.
  4. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

the best way to check the float level is the beer glass way,you remove the float chamber cover but leave the fuel pipe on then place the cover on a beer glass with the float inside turn the petrol on wait for the float to close and then measure the distance from the top of the glass to the fuel thats the float height
  5. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Also check that the float has no minute cracks in it like mine did. If it is made of brass (original) like mine was apparently over time it can get cracks in it although I do not understand how this happens. I dismantled mine when the carb constantly flooded and leaked petrol, and when I shook the float there was petrol inside it. New float, needle valve and gaskets cured it.
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

It shouldn't have filled the crankcase. There is an overflow drain with a hose in the elbow to prevent this . Like in case you forgot to shut the petcock valve off after turning the engine off.

One day I flooded my weedwacker. For some dumb reason I did not either set the choke or had the ignition switch in the off position and cranked and cranked until it was full of gas. You can remove the mufflers on those but I just let it sit for a week on it's side to where the fuel would run out the muffler and when I cranked it up blew gas out the muffler like mad.
  7. rmcdaniels

rmcdaniels Newbie

The float appears to be un-holy, and the float valve works properly. Gas is leaking out the tubes in the venturi with the bowl level at half, so I'm guessing that the accelerator pump seal has failed. The little brazed brass float and it's bracket are pretty mangled, like they got mauled by a tiny little bear. I'd bet that a prior owner had this problem and tried to fix it by bending the float bracket to get the valve to close earlier. Either that or I have an infestation of carburetor bears, but it's probably the accelerator pump deal.
  8. rmcdaniels

rmcdaniels Newbie

Messed with it some today and gave up. Ordered the 30mm Mikuni knockoff.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.