1. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

How do I use a stroboscope to set the EBZA timing? My new engine has notches on the crank case and I want to make sure it's timed right. I have both English (not the easiest translation to understand) and German (speak pretty fluently) versions, and some of it makes sense (like which plate belongs to which cylinder) but are there two marks on the crankshaft pulley, one for each cylinder?
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

yes theres two lines one for each cylinder you just slacken the backplate screws to adjust the timing like on a points system
  3. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

The big backplate is 1st cilinder (gearbox side)
    Small print is for second cilinder.
  4. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Ok, because both German and English say that the second cylinder is done 180 degrees differently, I assume that means a different notch 180 degrees from the first? Maybe my translation is bad....
  5. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Or...if I wanted to do this the analog way, would I use a test lamp and connect it to the 12v input on the appropriate coil and then ground the other end? Would need a piston depth gauge (or whatever it's called), huh?
  6. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Yes,first en second cilinder are 180 degrees.
    Because a two stroke engine has everytime when piston comes up a bang.
    You can adjust ignition with a gauge or test lamp.
    First cilinder (gearbox side) has 3mm and second cilinder 3,5 mm before upper dead point.
    parts3.jpg parts4.jpg ig1.jpg
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  7. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Looks like I need a Me├čuhr...
  8. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

I time mine with a old indicator bulb and two bits of wire and crocodile clips. Plus a depth gauge made from an old sparkplug and some scrap metal. And that works perfectly, I even checked it with a timing light once after roughly setting up my new motor with my homemade kit. And it was spot on so it just goes to show that you don't need the most expensive tools to do some of the most basic work on a car.
  9. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Did you drill through the center of the plug for the depth gauge and drop a spoke down it? The book says don't attach a test light to the EBZA pick up, so I assume ground and the 12v+ on the appropriate coil?
  10. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

h

I made a simple tool from an old spark plug, smash out the china ,fill with epoxy putty and then drill a 5mm hole through it. you can then insert a vernier caliper through the hole so it touches top of piston . I later bought the correct DDR depth gauge from german ebay ,they turn up new and used for little money
  11. Austinpowers

Yes I removed the porcelain and fitted a steel tube in its place with two opposing slots. Then two metal rods. The lower rod that can move up and down freely on top of the piston,and then one above that has a rubber o-ring so that it stays in position once the piston has lifted the lower rod to TDC. Then I lower the piston until I have the correct gap between the rods and use a 3mm drill bit to set the gap.
    The light bulb is connected to the + on the coil and a ground on the body work.
  12. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Damn....thanks a lot. I knew these were easy cars, but once you explain it, it gets simpler. Thanks guys
  13. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

One last point if using a depth gauge or tool rotate the engine in the direction it normally runs
  14. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Any chance of a pic of the homemade tool?
  15. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

And rotating it in the running directions gets you before TDC?
  16. Austinpowers

If I could get the pictures to work on here I would happily put some up.
  17. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

[​IMG][​IMG]

Rotate in direction of normal running to get TDC and make a note of what vernier reads . Then turn engine backwards maybe 30 degrees ,then slowly forward until you reach 3mm less on the vernier . Doing this means you don't get any error from backlash in engine
    Keri likes this.
  18. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Ok, I'll be making one today.
  19. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

What did you use to drill out the center? I got a drill press on 300rpm and it's still not making a dent. Any specific drill bits?
  20. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Just smash out the china rather than drilling it . I made it years ago i imagine i used a hammer and a chisel but really can,t remember . Then fill with weld or epoxy putty and drill the hole