1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

I did, but knew I'd be the fool to ask (right?).
    Well, it was asked by someone on a German FB Trabant page and I just figured to follow and get my answer.

It's this thing:

IMG_3274.jpg

It's a 6v or 12v accessory port (almost like a cigarette lighter). So I dug around and found that the most common accessory is the "handlampe". I found a bunch of them on eBay.de and just had to have one. Uses the very common 1156 type bulb and has 5 meters of cable (to allow full access around the outside of the car in the dark?). I just love the concept, on the side of the road looking around your car in the dark with the light output of a 21 watt bulb, beautiful.

Here it is:

IMG_3276.jpg

I got it brand new, still in the original packing with the purchase receipt dated 6/89. Even has the "Narva" DDR bulb still in the box.

I'm almost scared to plug it in, not sure I ever will. But it will make for another great story to tell at car shows!
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

You can still buy the male plugs off ebay etc I have one on a battery charger so to charge the battery i just plug it in ( I have a lamp too) Also you can buy adaptors to give a 'normal' 12 volt socket
    BillB likes this.
  3. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Charging the battery through that socket, is a good idea.
  4. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

That's called a Hella connector. I guess because it was designed by Hella the German electronics company.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  5. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

Or because it's hella cool
    BillB likes this.
  6. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

I use an adaptor like this (link) to charge my mobile phones and other stuff.
  7. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

I bought a similar adaptor and have discovered that certain cigarette lighter socket USB chargers give the right output with a 6v input. Not all of them do though. This makes it possible to use a TomTom on longer journeys and charge mobile phones on a 6v Trabant. I didn't think to use the socket to charge the battery but I might just try that. That is if I don't get round to plumbing in a DEFA socket and charger before next winter.
  8. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I tried charging my Motorolla Droid off 6 volts but it doesn't seem to work very well even though the USB adapter drops the voltage down to 5 volts. I think it's a lack of amperage. The battery in the phone is trying to pull more current than what the adapter can provide. I haven't even attempted this with my new MOTO Z that requires 3 amps to charge the battery.