1. Jeff

Jeff Puttering Along

Hi all just blown a big hole in the back box on my 601 sounds great if you are a boy racer but the fumes are killing me getting it home I need to replace it all while I am at it but the PROBLEM is I need it for next weekend for the IFA bubble car meet and being Easter and all that what are the chances of getting one very quickly and from where any suggestions much appreciated Cheers Jeff
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Danzer are the fastest german seller i have found . Usually with exhausts i find you can pop rivet a patch on or sleeve broken pipes using another scrap exhaust. Rummage in the skip at your local garage for donor pipe . The repairs might not pass an MOT but they last until you have time to get a proper replacement
  3. Jeff

Jeff Puttering Along

That would be OK if it was the pipe but it is right in the middle of the back box wher the suspension etc meet so i would have to take it off to do any type of repair and I think something else might break while trying to remove it so thats why I think I should get a complete replacement if I cant get another system in time I will have to see if there is a local bodge it and dash place that can pull me out of the **** for the time being it picked its moment to go on the dual carraige way when it suddenly coughed and spluttered and banged like someone had just let off a shot gun I thought it had blown the engine checked everything fuel plugs etc this one has electronic ignition so I thought I will just check under the cover and found one of the wires broken off managed to fix it temp to get me home it just needs a new small spade connector I think I will change them all tomorrow so I guess it stopped firing on one cylinder and that must have caused a bit of excess fule to build up in the box or something and the bang was it shorting and causing the explosion in the back box its a good 2in diameter hole in the box now
  4. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

If you don't want to repair it Danzer usually manage 4-5 days from Germany . You could try David Jones of ex-trabi -UK .If he still has stock and you ask nicely he MIGHT help. He stopped trading a while ago but may help if you explain
  5. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Danzer can be very fast i once ordered on a sunday night and got the parcel tues morning
  6. Jeff

Jeff Puttering Along

How do you order on a Sunday and pay you must have an account with them ??
  7. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

Danzer is really good in shipping abroad. Also project601 (Detlef Kunze) is a one of my preferred addresses.

What popped up recently in Facebook is that Martin Heinz (a young mechanic who have been running an own business in the Western part of Germany since some years) now sells in UK! His team is based in Warwickshire. Perhaps you should give it a try: http://www.trabispares.co.uk/

As I understood at the last car show in Döttesfeld (End of 2015) he also has a supplier who produces high quality mufflers for his company.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

It's all in german but simple enough ( i don't speak german) Usual stuff ,e-mail,password, address etc . Google translate will be enough to register
  9. Jeff

Jeff Puttering Along

Sorted just ordered a complete system from Trabantwelt hopefully it should be here before the end of next week
    if so hopefully I can get it fitted in time for the meet Cheers all thanks for your help
  10. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Hmm danzer would have been a lot faster but your choice
  11. Jeff

Jeff Puttering Along

couldnt link up to it properly but I have had stuff from Trabantwelt before and still had to change my pass word to get it through but
    Hey ho lets hope fingers crossed it comes in time !
  12. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Soak all the exhaust nuts and bolts in a decent rust penetrating spray like plus gas (wd40 isn't much good) and keep soaking each day over the next week . It might turn out easier to cut off rusted U bolts and buy new . Also check the rubber mounting straps and bobbins and maybe order new .Good luck
  13. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I've made repairs on mufflers using aluminium soft drink cans and hose clamps! But this is usually on the bottom where they rust out.

Years ago the exhaust pipe kept breaking on my Fiat Spider right above the axle where it makes a horseshoe bend. Apparently the guy did a crappy job running the pipe and somehow the pipe was being put in a bind. I had plans on installing a turbo system in the fall, so in the meantime I took some of that heat riser corrugated hose (about the same type that feeds air into the heat exchanger) and two hose clamps and used that has a coupler to link both pipes together. It held for months until I had the exhaust system replaced.