1. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Newbie

I need to fit a new clutch in one of my trabi 601 1989 and would like any information on this please. Is it straight forward ? do I need special tools? any help would be appreciated. Many thanks
    Rob
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Very easy compared to a modern car ,remove engine 30 minutes ( light enough to simply lift out ) Unbolt 6 clutch plate bolts gradually, replace the driven disc and the pressure plate if it's damaged or worn . Also check release bearing for excessive wear . Then refit engine and adjust cable . Only basic tools needed
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

It's just possible clutch is slipping due to gearbox leaking oil but that would be obvious once engine is removed and check flywheel for scoring if the car has been driven a long time with a badly worn clutch
  4. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

I agree with mbeamish it's a simple enough job and will only take an hour maybe two if your unfamiliar with removing a trabi engine
  5. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Newbie

Many thanks much appreciated Rob
  6. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

If you're a cheap skate it should be possible to get the clutch disc relined locally rather than ordering new from Germany . I did this a few years ago and it was a bit cheaper (assuming pressure plate is reusable )
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

When I had to replace the freewheel device in my car's transmission, it was suggested to pull the engine away from the gearbox and simply lift the 80 lb engine out of the engine compartment then lift the transmission up, pull the axles out then remove the transmission.

Well I got the engine worked loose from the transmission but could not get enough clearance to get the input shaft completely out of the engine. The engine "bottomed out" against the inside of the wheelwell. I even removed the fan. I think I even removed the cover for the points but still couldn't' get enough clearance.

I ended up remove the engine and transmission together. The second time i dropped the subframe and everything. Both methods were not easy. Any idea what I was doing wrong?

Hate to say it but I found dropping the drivetrain out of my Yugo much easier.
  8. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

pointshousing needs to come off, or engine wont clear the gearbox. still easyer than pulling the suspension apart to get the axles out. :)
  9. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I always managed to lift engine out with a bit of wiggling and twisting . With a bit of practice i could remove engine in 20 minutes even first time was a lot less than an hour
  10. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

If you unbolt the engine from the box undo the gearbox mounting and move the box to the drivers side you can then remove the engine complete with the point housing