1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

This really belongs in none of the topics. Every wonder how foreign coins ends up in American money? For ages, Canadian pennies have ended up in change since they are the same size and weight. Now I've found some that are the same size as a US quarter.

I think I got these coins as change after buying some 8 tracks at a thrift store Saturday.

The one on the left is obvious because it says, "Nederlands" on it. I think this coin is out of commission and been replaced by the Euro but the currency converter comes up nothing. Unlike when the UK was in the European Union yet they refused to give up the Pound. I never could quite figure out what that was all about.

The second coin took a bit of translation. It appears to be from Sweden. It must still be in circulation. The currency converter said it was worth 12 US cents.

[​IMG]
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I have some east german marks . They seem to be aluminium because they are very light . I used to collect coins when I was a kid , I still have my collection somewhere
  3. Steve H

Steve H Loyal Comrade

I just emptied my wallet looking for some change for a vending machine - found I still had a load of near worthless Czech things in it - left over from our camping trip near Prague recently.

(Why isn't the Czech republic in the Eurozone? - most inconvenient when you're only there for a couple of days and take way too much out of the cashpoint!)
  4. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

I have a habit of bringing foreign currency home with me whenever I travel. Niki actually did it a lot too so we both have some interesting amounts. Some of it includes Hungarian Forints before the separation from the Warsaw pact so it still has the old Hungarian crest with the red star and some German reich marks from the war. I cam across some allied invasion money from Italy that a family member or friend of the family had brought back years ago. Pretty cool stuff seeing how they are all different.
    Keri likes this.
  5. Keri

Keri Leader

I have a foreign coin collection also.
    I started with my grandfather's pocket change from Sweden. It was probably his life savings, and was under a dollar.
    Since then, I've added my leftover Canadian and Mexican money from vacations and money from various countries from friends I pick up at the airport, from all kinds of places.
    But.... I never had any Russian money! Until I was at the local Russian store buying tea and came across the coins.
    So I bought a one Ruble coin from the year I was born. It cost about a dollar and not only is it considered a "lucky year" by Russians, but it has a Hammer and Sickle too!
  6. turbofiat124

One of the oddest coins I ever got in some change was a Nazi era coin (1938 I think) with a swastika on it about the same size as a US dime. I can't remember what I did with it. Some people have said, "That thing maybe worth something". I sort of doubt it considering the stigma with Nazi memorabilia.
  7. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Sadly the swastika probably adds value to some people. I would have no problems with a coin collector buying a 3rd reich coin but when someone collects only Nazi stuff it all gets a bit dodgy.
    Keri likes this.
  8. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

There is a huge market out there for anything WWII related, including money from the era. That specific coin may not be worth a lot but I am sure someone, somewhere out there would want to buy it.
    Keri likes this.
  9. turbofiat124

Those coins are still plaguing me! Somehow they ended up in a change purse (don't laugh) I keep in my van I use when I go to the DIY car washes. The machine kept rejecting this one coin until I realized it was not a quarter. Then I was at the insurance company and my daughter wanted some candy from one of those dispensers. Somehow one of those coins ended up in my pocket. So then I had to dig it out of the machine with a key.

So how should I get rid of these? Since they were given to me as change from a thrift store, maybe I should pass then off as US quarters to the next person when buying a Red Bull or snacks at a gas station.
  10. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Ebay them ? If you can be bothered you might get a dollar or two for your trouble
  11. Keri

Keri Leader

Someone just gave me a one Yuan coin from China! About the same size as an American quarter.

Swastikas on a coin?
    Nazi coins should only be in museums clearly labeled "Things NOT to do!" ... along with every other Nazi relic. Nazis themselves should be in a different museum, with bars and guards.
  12. turbofiat124

The only contribution Hitler made to society was the Autobahn which was Eisenhower's inspiration for the interstate highway system!

Otherwise we might still be driving on two lane roads like Route 66. Wouldn't that the a challenge in this day and age.