1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  1. VinceVer

VinceVer Newbie

Hello everyone, I live in Belgium (which is in Europe) and next to Germany.
    I am interested in buying a trabant 601 as a "sunday car" (basically have fun). Now i do not know alot about cars and how to fix them, but i heard that the trabant is a rather simple car, and there are many guides online. I also have a basic onderstanding of how a car works, I just have never worked on one. And everything I knoow about cars is information from the internet. But I have no idea where to start looking, I first looked on my local second hand website but only three trabants were for sale for 2.000 euro, which might be a bit much in my opinion. Does anybody know where I could buy a trabant 601 and perhaps ship it to Belgium? Germany is not that far away. And what is a good price for one? I know there are many models, but I am just talking about the regular sedan 601, with the two-stroke engine, preferably before the 80's (just because it's more antique, etc...) But i am also happy with later models (I probably can't be picky and find a cheap one ath the same time, so price gets the first priority. I am looking for a Trabi that runs and thus doesn't need restoring, or not that much atleast. (I am also new to the forum so i might post this in the wrong category, please tell me so if that is the case).
  2. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Welcome to the forum. I live in England, where there are quite a few Trabant 601s around. I found my first one on ebay UK and was a 1983 model which needed quite a lot of work to get it on the road. I only paid 500 euros for it but spent a lot of time and another 600 euros getting it fixed up. My second car is a 1990 601 Kombi which I saw on a classic car site online and which was ready for the road and in very good condition. I paid less than 2000 euros for it, and it's great. There are quite a few cars coming out of Hungary and Poland, so scout around the car sales sites online and ebay in UK, Germany and the ex communist European countries. You should be able to find a decent 601 from these.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

It's going to depend greatly on condition. A roadworthy presentable car for 2000 euros doesn't sound like a lot to me. All inspections and documents present and correct too, of course.
  4. VinceVer

VinceVer Newbie

Well the seller said that it needs some work. But you know what they mean when they say that do you. They sell a tupperware box with weels and say "Needs some TLC". But what would be a good price when buying one in germany? It is not that far away. (And let's just say I want a driveable one.)
  5. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

For 2k I would be looking for a car in fairly good condition with no major faults only needing minor things doing to it being on mainland Europe you should be able to find a trabi reasonably easily as Poland and Germany should be a good hunting ground,but I am a bit tight
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  6. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

This one looks a good bet if you can get it for under £1000. Ebay UK item no.
    It is very near to the Newcastle to Amsterdam vehicle ferry so not too hard to get it to Belgium.
    Looks as though it just needs a little TLC to make it a good car. I don't know how hard or easy it would be to get it registered in Belgium.
    Or this one EbayUK item no.
    Would involve a bit more driving, but it has a UK registration.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  7. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Yes I would avoid one that says "needs work". You should be able to find one with no major problems at all for 2k and a really nice one for 3. Germany values Trabants highest I think, and you'll be looking at 2-3k. If you want to look for bargains, shop other countries like Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, etc. Look at ebay.de and see for yourself.
    VinceVer likes this.
  8. VinceVer

VinceVer Newbie

Thank you for the quick response, I will look into that
  9. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Save your money and get a good one, in beautiful shape. Then keep it that way.
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  10. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  11. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

I just bought this one and drove it today to a friends house for storage 10 miles from the vendors house. Seems fine except for minor stuff. Lots of spares included and German paperwork when imported to UK plus German Trabant manuals. Pictures to follow.

New trabbi1.jpg new trabbi2.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  12. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

Nice looking car!
  13. VinceVer

VinceVer Newbie

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, i will look into them all. And Steve, cool car!
  14. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

nice car steve are you starting a collection?
  15. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Not really, the price I paid was too good to miss, and it's a back-up for the upcoming charity trip. And I might just steal the over-riders and spots and rear fog and reverse lamps before I sell it on.