1. Hello Comrades!
    I have recently acquired a 1963 Trabant 600 from a previous owner in Ohio.. currently it doesn't run and I plan on resurrecting my trabi into a running daily driver. I am hoping that since, much to my surprise, a cult following for this car that the community could help me or at least steer me in the right direction. Right now, I am on the hunt for parts. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking?
    Thanks!!
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

3. Thanks for the info!! Much appreciated! I wish I had a working knowledge of the German language but I don't. Thanks for the idea of Google translate. I had forgotten about that feature.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  4. RogerDerSchrauber

These are the ones that will ship to the USA, no problem. Martin Heinz also speaks English and is really helpful, with advice and parts.
  5. I think he is with the ifa service heinz website? Hey, can you get the spark plugs here in the US , i.e. AutoZone or Napa?? I am going to attempt to start mine after 25 years of sitting and wanted to get fresh plugs for it before I started. I would hate to wait for a couple of weeks to get the plugs from Germany. I just hope that I will not have to rebuild the carb and reed valve. This one has only done 33k km. Or about 25k miles. So I think the engine should be in fairly in good condition. I just hope the coils have held out all these years.
  6. RogerDerSchrauber

NGK B7HS I used when I first got mine, but got some original Isolator 14x225 plugs and use them now. You will pick up all kinds of stuff as you go along, and get some great advice here from folks such as TNTrabi and Keri, and many others.
  7. I have to admit that I am surprised by 1.) How many are in Tennessee and 2.) How helpful/friendly people have been on this site.
    I really have allot of hope for getting mine working and drivable.
    I have a dream of entering this car in the 24hrs of lemon rally , the one from Moscow ,pa to Paris ,Tn.. and WIN!!! My mother and bother and I are going to be doing this. I hope that this little car and bring us closer and create some great memories. Since being a mechanic for 20+ yrs and my bother funding this venture.. it should be one hell of an adventure. I have been networking my local connections and unwitting customers from my job a uHaul to find/manufacture parts and what not that I need for this.
  8. I mean this will never be a factory perfect Original like my Jaguar or GMC truck.. but something fun and odd ball that has had a personal touch with lots of love.
  9. RogerDerSchrauber

The guy I bought my Trabi from in Germany did a charity rally or two from Germany to Murmansk, Russia with his remaining Trabant.
  10. That's pretty cool!! I bought mine from a guy in Ohio. I think you can find the ad still on the internet for it. The trabi has had an interesting story so far. I wish I had the original German title to find out more about the person who owned it..
  11. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

My best advice when ordering parts is think of small or inexpensive items you "might" need in the future like a clutch, throttle cable, points, etc. to make up the 1 kg minimum package. Germans are proud of using DHL and it seems using some other shipper like UPS or FEDEx or the German post is not an option.

Last time I ordered anything from Germany it was around $55 for a 1 or 2 kg package. Or a minimum of $55. Once a DHL package makes it to the US it get's dumped off at a depot, seems to sit there and then is handled by the US mail. Most of the time the package looks like it made a detour through hell.

See if you can make heads or tails of their shipping rates:

https://www.dhl.de/en/paket/preise/preise-international.html

By contrast I order my Citroen 2CV parts from Burton's 2CV in The Netherlands they use UPS. First time I ordered a bunch of parts I was thinking it was going to take 3 weeks to get them like it does from Germany. I was amazed when it got here in four days and the package was much heavier. Like a 20 lb package for the same price. I can't get stuff from California in 4 days!

And if you can get stuff from the UK is much cheaper than Germany. I wanted a set of H4 headlights but the US DOT versions won't fit the buckets. Shipping from Germany was going to cost around $60 just for two headlights but was less than $20 from the UK. Just make sure they are LHD versions!
  12. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Welcome to the club! I have made multiple orders with Trabantwelt and have never had any problems with their shipping. May take about a week to get the parts. There is a lot of good info on here for you and pretty much everyone is willing to help if they can. Good luck with everything! Also I am just north of you in KY so not too far away.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  13. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

I live in middle Tn also. Just south of Nashville. If you need anything just call me up. My number is under my profile. Oh and welcome to the Trabi life !!!
  14. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

welcome to the p50-p60 club
    great fun and as said above order a ton of stuff at once.

or get crazy ditch the 2 stroke and put a different motor.
  15. Hello fellow Comrads!
    Thank you for the warm reception. I never knew that there was this kind of following.

I am working on an extensive list at the moment for parts for my 600. I have started a separate post for the resurrection process. But I have been well surprised at how good of a condition this little trabi is.

Tricken--If all of this goes sideways on the engine.. I have a two cylinder John Deere engine lined up just in case.. woohoo 37hp!!

Ooo.. and the people at the local Napa store are having a field day with this stuff... Hehehe.