1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

My 1970 601 has developed a nasty rattle at low revs and the general consensus is the crankshaft has a worn bearing(s). So I am on the lookout for a replacement unit or crankshaft cheaper than ordering from Germany. Anyone on the forum in the UK got one for sale?
  2. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Well since my last post above, I have partially stripped the engine, removed cylinder heads and barrels. Checked for play in the big ends, small ends, gudgeon pins, where I found very little. Checked piston rings, which I found out are pegged, so be careful to position them correctly on reassembly. I did a decoke while I had the chance, and then put it all back together. Guess what, the rattle has gone, and the engine runs fine, so I think the rattle was not the crank but maybe loose cowling parts vibrating. At least I hope it was. Time will tell.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  3. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

did you leave the head gaskets off for a bit more compression/performance,if it was just a loose cowl it was a nice easy fix
  4. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Yes I did, Kev. To be fair I haven't really noticed any difference in power but then I don't often use full throttle except on a hill climb. See you soon to collect the car.
  5. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Its nice when you find its not as bad, as first thought.

Andy.
  6. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

When you get some carbon build up it will increase the compression a bit more,I've put all the spares inside it ready for you