1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

As the title hints at, does anyone have an idea( short of cutting the roof off) to get more fresh air inside a Trabi?

So in other words a wind, reflector. Like a add on vent window?

Must be something out there. On a 100'F day, the air is stale at best! :D
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

3. A Spooky Ghost

Hmm, never thought about it. Seems a good DIY project. Could keep it in the trunk.
  4. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

You could drive faster or at least try to swamp cooler would be more practical and look cool pun intended
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Too bad they don't work in the Eastern US due to the high humidity.

I bought a whole house humidifier (which is basically the same thing) last January when we got those subfreezing temperatures and very dry air. I had it in the kitchen and noticed the kitchen was much cooler than the rest of the house. I moved it into the hallway and didn't think about it being underneath the thermostat. Within 5 minutes, the emergency heat kicked on and the house got 10 degrees hotter! That's how well evaporated cooling works. But only if the humidity is 30% or below.

Here's one idea I considered. Get one of those NASA scoops and mount it where the 3" hole behind the grill. I don't know if that would help or not.

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/images/posts/NG019_xa_bonnet_scoop_0040.jpg

Years ago I had a 1981 Prelude and got one of those sunroof deflectors. The interesting thing about this deflector was it had two adjustable flaps. So going down the road I could aim the flap straight down and cool air would hit me right on top of the head.
  6. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

7. A Spooky Ghost

Not a bad idea about the scoop.

Meow the cool shirt is a bit ridiculous! :eek: I just can't justify it for a cotton twilled yellow vibrator...

Would be the perfect solution though!
  8. turbofiat124

That's exactly what I need while mowing!

My lawnmower (just like the one below) has holes in it for a sun shade. I've considered getting one but the trouble is I have so many low hanging trees limbs and other vegitation, I would probably rip it off.

[​IMG]

Actually I've been trying to boost the air flow for the heater. One time I mounted one of those 4" bilge pump fans in place of the "muffler". When I mean muffler I mean the elbow that has the screen in it (probably lined with asbestos) that filters out the noise off the exhaust.

I used a straight silicone coupler and a 4" silicone elbow, the fan and a piece of pipe. Here's some photos of my ill-fated attempts:

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Trabant/Trabant heater?sort=2&page=1

The 4" blower actually worked. The trouble was because I was not using the muffler, it sounded like every bit of the engine noise was being dumped into the cabin!

The muffler greatly reduces airflow to the heater. Just like the foam heater tubes on my Citroen.
    So there doesn't seem to be anyway around it.

Can't remember if I tried mounting the 4" fan after the muffler. I tried a smaller 3" fan in place of the short hose but it didn't move that much more air.

I did consider building one of these automotive swamp coolers of PVC pipe to help channel some air into the car but like I said evaporative cooling does not work in the Eastern United States. Allot of people out in the desert southwest don't even have air conditioners. They have these large swamp coolers mounted on top of their houses and the work just as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=automotive swamp cooler&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjXqazVuJTcAhWFNd8KHfH0Aj0Q_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=875
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  9. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

It's a Trabant. When it gets hot, you roll down the windows and open the vent. Maybe a dashboard fan might help, but they fall off. Anything else is a waste of time, other than driving to Balaton or the Baltic to cool off.
  10. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

I guess I'm lucky. My car has rear pop out windows. Really help to keep air moving through the car.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  11. turbofiat124

Well I typed up a detailed reply but I hit the wrong key and it's all lost. This was a little experiment I did. I'll elaborate more on it if anyone is curious. The jest of it is I have 5 2 liter Pepsi bottles frozen inside the cooler and I'm using a 4" fan to blow air across the bottles and up through two vents. The main reason for this is to see if I can use this to cool my garage by pumping chilled water through a coil mounted to a large fan and move it around to wherever I am working.

Attached Files:

12. A Spooky Ghost

I really like to feel the air move through the car. I've been learning to just deal with it.

Suppose it sounds like a angry Vespa, so it should have some of the breeze that goes with it.

I like that cooler! I'd out it in the trunk, an run a hose up front...

Or on the back seat, most adults with legs don't like sitting back there anyway.
  13. turbofiat124

A better idea would to put this thing in the trunk and pump chilled water to a finned coil with a fan behind it. Of course I'd need to build a shroud around it so it pulls all the cool air through it. And a drip tray to catch the condensation.

I was thinking about doing this on my 68 Fairlane and using the car's heater fan.

Actually this was an experiment for a larger project. I'm wanting to put an air conditioner in my garage. It's 30X54 and allot of wasted space in the ceiling with trusses running up and down so it's going to be hard to cool. I only have 100 amp service going out there so it could not run a 1 ton heat pump. The largest 220 volt breaker I have is 50 amps which runs my air compressor anyway.

I get allot of my stuff from thrift stores, Salvation Army and the Habitat for Humanity store. I found that cooler from the Habitat store for $3. I also got a 3rd trash compactor for $20 I use to crush aluminum cans out in my garage.

My idea was to get a used deep chest freezer. I've seen these for $70 on Craigslist. My wife said she saw one at the Habitat store so when they open tomorrow I'm going to check it out.

I'm going to fill it with 2 liter Pepsi bottles filled with water. This will acts as stored energy and take up space.

Then fill it with one of three things:

Brine (the cheapest but more corrosive)
    70% / 30% water/glycol
    60% / 40% water/denatured alcohol

And pump this chilled mixture through some condensers from an old heat pump with a fan mounted behind it.

Operation:

Since this thing will only be used for about 4 to 5 hours when I am working in my garage. I plan on turning the freezer on when I close up shop. When using it, shut the freezer off and turn the pump and fan on.

I'd like to go one step further and mount a solar cell on the roof of my garage and recharge some batteries through the day and use this power to run the freezer at night. I'll have to work out those details later. I'm not sure how many amps this freezer would pull, how many batteries I'd need and what size inverter.

I've got an upright 110 volt freezer in my laundry room my grandmother bought in 1964 that is still running. I hooked one of those meters between the freezer and output and it's pulls 4 amps!