1. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Just read anything over 40 will be exempt from may 2018 which means no test for simson and wartburg
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

yes my trabi and most of my bike will no longer have to go to the testing station im not so sure this is a good thing though as it means some rusty rot boxes may be driving around,its stated that vehicals over 40 should be in a road worthy state unfortunatly some folk have some strange ideas of roadworthy!
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

HAH! Sounds like me! The plan this winter is to replace my rusty sills and whatever else is lurking behind the Duraplast panels. Although I have not had a chance to get crackin on it yet.

Mbeamish said mine wouldn't pass MOT in the UK. I figure as long as I keep it in the garage when not driven and try not to drive it in the rain, the rust will not get any worse. Of course this won't prevent the metal from breaking from stress fractures.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Trabant/sills?sort=2&page=1
  4. kev the builder

The problem with rust is once it starts it just keeps going and weakening the structure I've seen some crashed old cars which looked fine from the outside but the rusty parts just disintegrated in the crash,no mot inspection means the rot can go unchecked,call me a sceptic but I can see insurance company's saying that the insurance is void because the cars not up to mot standards
  5. turbofiat124

I have not had a chance to start the rust repair yet much less work out in my garage in about a month.

I don't know about the UK but there seems to be multiple strains of virus's going round here in the US. I've been sick for 2 weeks (actually off and on since September). Not only that but my wife, daughter and father have all been sick through the holidays. I'm kind of wondering if I contracted the flu but not bad enough to require hospitalization.

Not only that but most of the US has been hit by an arctic blast with subfreezing temperatures and tons of snow up north. Not a bit of snow here in the valley as usual but bitter cold nighttime temps (9F) and a few days where the temperature has not gotten above freezing. Since my 90,000 BTU propane heater I have in my garage uses almost 4 liters of propane (at $1.60 for ~ four liters) for every hour it runs. So when it get's this cold, it runs non stop just trying to maintain 60 F. So I tend to avoid going out there unless it's in the 40s or 50s.

In the meantime I've been doing some computer repair in my den.

I managed to get Cloudready to run on an old Dell laptop and finally managed to get an old PC running using a 16 GB Compact Flash memory card instead of the hard drive using an IDE adapter. Any of you guys ever fool with stuff like this?

I am looking for to a big snow storm so I can get mt ATV out and have a bit of fun. I made a rear storage box and a new front rack out of plywood. The plastic one was broken.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  6. kev the builder

There seems to be a load of sickness going around the uk I've also managed to avoid it until a couple of days ago but hopefully I should be able to go and play in the garage in a day or two I was hoping to get some work done on a couple of bikes, I like the confederate flag on the front of your atv
  7. turbofiat124

I'm getting cabin fever. Watching all this nonsense on TV is about to drive me nuts.

I like to show my southern pride. I got a a Confederate flag hanging in my garage. Some people may find the flag racist and it is used by racists in their parades and BS rallies and such. I bought that sticker from a beach shop that sold other items with the Confederate flag and the store owners were black! The lady who checked me out sounded like she was from Jamaica.

Kind of like people in Scotland like to fly their flag instead of the union jack. Although some of my Scottish friends seemed to upset a few folks on the motorway around London flying theirs on their Fiat X 1/9s. I was riding with one guy from Glasgow and was a bit concerned about how people from England would react. We got the double finger gesture a few times!
  8. kev the builder

I know where your coming from with the tv its just the same old crimbo dross.my mate wasnt alowed to have the st georges flagon his rally car as it was considered racist as it was a white car we painted a red cross on the roof the scrutineers were not happy but couldnt make him remove it as it was painted on and they call me a redneck