1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

Last November I got to realize a life-long dream and had the chance to spend a month in Germany.

Traveled quite a bit around the country and spent a lot of time in the East. Berlin, Chemnitz, Dresden, Leipzig and of course Zwickau! I spent most of an afternoon at Trabantwelt, nice people.

Stayed in a DDR themed hotel in Berlin which was a lot of fun and ate some authentic DDR food too!

I can't wait to go back...….. :)

Trabi_World.jpg
    Trabants in Berlin

Art_Trabi.jpg
    Trabant outside giftshop near Berlin Fernsehturm

Eastside.jpg
    Trabant near East Gallery, Berlin

Trabi_Wall.jpg
    Breaking thru the wall.

Kubel.jpg
    DDR_Truck.jpg
    Trabant_600.jpg
    Military Kubel in Modlareuth along with 600 and trucks.

STASI_Barkas.jpg
    STASI Barkas @ STASI Museum, Normannenstrasse.

Trabanwelt.jpg PARTS.jpg
    @ TrabantWelt, Zwickau. Amazing how many Trabi parts you can fit in a 70lb suitcase!

speedo.jpg
    Fun on the Autobahn. Audi A5 TDI rental.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  2. Tim S

Some additional pictures that I forgot to attach to original post-

Dresden.jpg
    Dresden. DDR Propaganda.

Honecker_Haus.jpg
    Former House of the name-sake of my Car.

Ampelmann.jpg
    I liked seeing this guy everywhere!
  3. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Some great photos there. The green man in the hat is funny.

Andy.
  4. Tim S

Ampelmännchen. The little green man on East German traffic lights first appeared in 1961 and I am glad to say is still all over in the East. At least in the larger cities as I recall.

I remember reading that when first developed his hat looked different and was considered too 'bourgeois looking' so it was redesigned to look like a straw-hat. :)

There is an Ampelmann Store in Berlin that sell his likeness on everything from coffee mugs to lamps and t-shirts. Pretty cool!
    RogerDerSchrauber and Andrewwoey like this.
  5. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

That’s pretty cool, I’m going to Berlin myself for a weekend in January. I’ve got it all planned out, we’re also staying in the DDR hotel , will be visiting the various DDR museums and sights and I’m actually going to go on a Trabi Safari. We’re going to do the 2.5 hour tour, I’m really looking forward to it. I’ll arrive on the Friday afternoon and leave late afternoon on Sunday so I’ll be very busy over the short time I’m there.
  6. Tim S

My son and I also stayed at the DDR Hostel in Berlin near the Berlin Ostbahnhof. Very surreal.

If you do don't miss dining at the Restaurant Volkskammer in the same building on the opposite side. Authentic East German food with a nice décor of Ostalgie!

I can't believe I skipped doing the Trabi Safari but my son refused to do it. Teenagers, ack! Should have thrown him in the near by Spree!

I also really like the DDR Museum near the Berliner Bernsehturm and the Normannenstrasse Stasi Headquarters. Nice Barkas B1000 in the entrance area. Maybe not so nice a van as it was a prison van with 4 or 5 secret person hauling compartments in its interior! :)
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.