1. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

So excited that my car arrived this past Monday.
    The trip from Germany took about 6 weeks and was very smooth (no issues at all).
    Buzzed it around a little and it is exactly what I wanted/needed, a fun little car!

IMG_2326s.JPG IMG_2327s.JPG IMG_2328s.JPG IMG_2330 s.JPG IMG_2333s.JPG IMG_2334s.JPG IMG_2326s.JPG IMG_2327s.JPG
    Piotr, Keri, turbofiat124 and 5 others like this.
  2. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Congrats! It looks great. Hope you really enjoy it!
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Looks like it has gone to a great home. Enjoy it. It seems to have fared better than that other wreck on the trailer!
  4. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Looks great! You may have mentioned this but did you import it from Europe or buy it from someone here in the US?
  5. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

Bought it on eBay.de in Germany for 1.200,00 EUR
    I took care of most of the importing myself with help from a work counterpart in Germany
    The car lived most of it's life in the Zwickau area
    Keri and RogerDerSchrauber like this.
  6. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Looks great! I have thought about trying to import a car, but have never been brave enough to pull the trigger. I have been lucky to find cars in the states, but the selection is so much better in Germany, you can find exactly what you want.
  7. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Importing such cars is relatively easy, when you work with shipping company/broker. They can do all the work for you, including buying the car.

However, it's always better to check the car out yourself, which means flying to wherever the car is.

I lucked out, because the seller I bought my car from sight unseen is not only a mechanical genius, but an honest man. Others have had different experiences.

But, an antique car in nice shape for less than $10,000 is becoming a rarity, so, it's worth taking the chance.
  8. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

Roger is spot on. Shipping can be relatively easy. Finding a good/solid car without "eyes on" can be a bit of a trick, but with current vintage car prices.........
    I am fortunate enough to work at a company where our product is built in Germany and had a trusted counterpart (that I talk with almost daily) search out and buy the car.
    Keri and RogerDerSchrauber like this.
  9. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Looks very nice. Health to enjoy
  10. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

very nice buy, looks like a great car and hope it brings you loads of fun.
  11. riverstar

riverstar Newbie

It's lovely. Nice color!
  12. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

can i ask how much shipping to your door was?
  13. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

Tricken, I never keep too close of a tally on hobby spending (too scary!), but shipping from Markdorf Germany to Plainfield Illinois was right at $2,800 all inclusive. I've been told it's a reasonable number (not too much, but not the cheapest).
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  14. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

that feels about right, i have seen about 3- 5k with all the proper paper work being done
  15. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

1200 EUR is wicked cheap! You got a steal, Bill!
    BillB likes this.
  16. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

Roger, I think you are correct..... I stole it (at least I think I did).
    I'm very lucky to have a solid connection in Germany.
    The car was on eBay.de and located in my work buddies parents village.
    He won the bid and went to look at the car.
    It was at the service workshop of the Sigmaringen Castle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmaringen_Castle
    The first photos I got of the car are with the castle as the backdrop.
    He said the car was in good shape and the last owner used it mostly for car shows.
    I was lucky and the car is in amazing shape, just needed some TLC.

I also look at the purchase the same way as Roger.
    Almost anything you like (collector car wise) is outrageously priced.
    I got my Trabi for $5k (total) and it is the best car/value for car shows there is.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.