1. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

After a few minor hang ups, my Trabi has arrived to America from England! Started right up after almost 2 months in transit/storage. Hope to have it registered soon, but in the meantime I've been driving it around the yard. Any Trabis going along I-80, stop on by near Omaha, Neb.

Should add that I've had the car for over a year when I was living in the UK. Didn't have a garage or driveway, so maintenance was not easy. Now she's got her own garage space and all of my shop tools available.

DSC02194-2.JPG
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    BillB and RogerDerSchrauber like this.
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Welcome to a new world! I got mine last year in the same way, but direct from Germany. The little car has changed my life, and I'm sure yours will, too.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Berlin89 likes this.
  3. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

hi glad you got your trabi to the us its gone a long way from when i had it, and its looking good i bet you cant wait to be smoking around in it
  4. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

Hey Kev, yep everything worked out in the end. All the guys at the export place were so fascinated by the car that the small rot spot wasn't a problem. A few of them were even talking about going to Germany to bring some Trabis back to England! We did have it running a while during the inspection and it vapor locked. Drove me mad initially until I figured out what it was. This was during the warm spell in June.
    The battery was flat and even with detailed instructions taped to the dash board, someone left the fuel on and the tank was bone dry. Other than that, all is well. A gallon of 2 stroke oil showed up yesterday so we're in business.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  5. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

Right now I'm just waiting on the county to figure out how they can register this thing. I'm fairly certain that the UK V5 and bill of sale is OK, but we'll see what they say.
  6. kev the builder

The red tape ties you up in knots but you have to play their game if you want to play
  7. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Moderator

Congrats on the transport and arrival in Omaha, NE.
    Great to have another 601 in the Midwest.
    Once registered, you can get it out on the open roads and let it sing.
    Just like Roger, my 601 purchase changed my hobby life 100%
    It would take a lot to get me to sell this car.
  8. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Title, bill of sale and previous registration should be enough, along with the DOT, EPA and harbormaster's forms. If you can get a Trabant with German papers registered in bureaucracy-heavy Massachusetts, Nebraska should be a snap.
  9. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

Making progress here now. Apparently a state vehicle inspector has to come by to look everything over, so hopefully they get back to me this upcoming week. Maybe he'll accept the UK MOT certificate :cool: Driving around my property has gotten old haha.
  10. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

Sabine has her first US title and license plates. Blue smoke trails spotted in western Iowa!
  11. kev the builder

thats good it will be different to smoking around the cambridge area,it didnt take to long to sort your registration out
  12. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

If the DMV in Nebraska gives you any issues I could try to apply for a title in Tennessee title then sign it off and mail it to you. As long as the car is 30 years old, all you have to do is fill out a piece of paper and file for a title. They check to see if the car is stolen or ever been in the system. If it comes back clean, they mail you a title.

You tell the DMV you found it in a barn and not disclose there that any paperwork exits. Otherwise that will throw a monkey wrench into the equation.

However I'm assuming the car is a 1989 model? So if it's not 30 years old, then I'd have to wait 2 more years to do it.

I had to pass up a couple of 1991 models (@ just $2500 piece) 5 years ago because they did not meet the 30 year requirement. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just found some older VINs from junked cars and transplanted it to the firewall.

My Citroen 2CV is registered as a 73 model but it resembles a 1987 model. I'm not sure if the entire car is a 1987 model or just the chassis.
  13. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

All is well. The DOT just had to verify all of the import paperwork matched the car and previous registration. He put that in 'the system' and then the car showed up in the database when I registered it at the county.
  14. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Good deal. It's always fun trying to get a car registered at the DMV. Those ladies down there at my DMV think they are Gods or something.

I asked the guy who imported my Trabant if he could register the car in Florida in his name then sign off on the title which he did. Then sent it to me by FedEx before I even got the car. So all I had to do was hand it to one of the "Bs" at the DMV and they accepted it no questioned asked because the title was from another state.

One day I was down there and there was a Mexican guy trying to register a car and there was some issue with the title. His English was not that great and he was having trouble trying to understand what she was saying but from what I gather, it was a common issue with the transaction where he got the car from a friend who had not registered it prior. So the tax on the previous transaction had not yet been paid.

Unlike some states where you may have to pay something like .01% sales tax on the vehicle's book value every year you register it (I think California does this), in Tennessee it's a one time deal at 4% of whatever you paid for the car which is better than the regular sales tax at around 10%. Thank God it's 4% and not 10%.

Tennessee if so paranoid someone is going to shit them out of a dollar when it comes to sales tax. it's not so much if the car is stolen, they can easily check their database.

I felt sorry for the guy. I was about to say "Welcome to America!" on his way out!:p
  15. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

Had to get a road picture in before all the corn is gone.

20170929_180218.jpg