1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

Currently flirting with the idea of finding a Trabant. Though, I have plenty of projects and no space for another one. But I don't have a Trabant, so... :D

I like the idea of a super simple car and I like how different a Trabi is compared to everything else I have experience with.

Part of me feels like importing one would be an interesting experience. But the rest of me feels like it would be a huge hassle. I'd love to hear from others who have done it. I've got my eye on ebay.de and the couple other German go-to sites I've found here, as well as US ebay and craigslist.

Not new to the old car scene, my current line up:
    1969 Chevelle
    1979 Fiat Spider 2000 (Hello turbofiat124!)
    1991 F-250 IDI turbo
    1996 Subara Impreza (Rally car)
    2003 Jetta TDI (daily)

Every one a project to some degree. I'll have to start stacking them if I do end up adding another one.

Glad to join the community. I've been reading and learning as much as I can.

Tim.
  2. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Welcome. Uk registered trabants seem to be better priced than those in mainland Europe that you need to pick up and register. I started buying various parts from Europe, but then just brought a rotton none registered car for spares to keep mine going.
    The trabbi as been rated as the worst car in the world. This is so untrue. I love driving mine. I have even taken my modern car off the road and just use the Trabant. Once you have sorted out all of the previous owners bodge repairs then you will find that they are very reliable and enjoyable to drive. There are a few cars here in the UK.
    I notice on your list that you have a 1969 Chevelle. That's a beautiful car.

Andy.
  3. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

Some day mine might live up to that reputation.
    [​IMG]

There is a really nice looking Trabi on ebay in the UK right now. At least I'll be able to communicate with sellers in England. :)
    Andrewwoey likes this.
  4. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

I live in MA, and imported my Trabant. No real problems. Have it shipped as a no-start car. For more info, contact me off-list.