1. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Thinking it might be safe to start using my wartburg next weekend ( live in UK) . Not much choice anyway as Beetles MOT expires and it needs some work. If your IFA car is summer only when do you start using it ?
  2. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

I'm thinking the same.... really miss driving the Trabbi.

I won't be using her for work this year so it'll be high days and holidays only anyway. The first local show is 30th April, so I normally like to get some miles in before going to that.
  3. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Got it in on the lift this week, to check that is is summer ready, and put new front tires on it. plan on driving it from next week, and keep the plates on the audi for another month as backup incase the weather goes bad again. currently we have 7 deg. C outside with some rain, but still fine for the trabi as long as there is no salt. :)
  4. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

Use mine all year round, just make sure that it gets washed regularly and keep an eye on the under seal.
  5. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

I'm using mine year round as often as I can,now it's in the garage it's not as often as I have to move the other car from in front of the garage but it means I can do some work on it when time allows
  6. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Because we had such a mild winter, I drove mine some, but not if it was wet. On warm days, it got washed, with special attention paid to the wheel wells and shock towers.
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

They were predicting 5" of snow this weekend. The city jumped the gun and sprayed brine on the roads Friday in preparation of the storm. We got nothing. What a waste of money, time and and effort.

I hate getting road salt on my Subaru. As soon as the roads dry off, I get my pressure sprayer out and spray not only the outside but the underside as well.

It was 76F Thursday. This weekend it's supposed to get into the 20s at night. This is usually the way it's been all winter.

I can't wait for this roller coaster weather to end and it stays warm and sunny. I'm sick of cold weather.
  8. Keri

Keri Leader

I start driving Comrade Trabi just as soon as rains have washed away the road salt. Occasionally, I get stuck driving in the slop, but try to avoid it.
    Having an incredibly destructive climate for cars, Chicago has high humidity, lots of rain, lots of snow, wild temperature variations, incredibly pot-holed roads and TONS of salt!
  9. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

One of the worst cars I ever owned that rusted from the inside out was my first car, a 1981 Honda Prelude. It had rust on it when I got it when it was five years ago.

We got allot more snow back in the 1980s than we get today.

I had my cousin paint it but the rust kept coming back out. I don't think they had any good treatments for rusty metal like they have today.

Back then people just grinded away as much rust as possible and fiberglassed over top of it. Now we have better products like Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. Which I'm going to thoroughly coat all rusted and unprimed areas with my Trabbi with before I paint it.

I've considered using that rubber truck bed coating as undercoating instead of asphalt coating. This stuff is tough and won't flake off like asphalt coating.

I know this maybe impossible for most but simply keeping a car out of the weather when not driving it and avoiding road salt is the best way to keep a car from rusting. I had my 80 Fiat Spider repainted almost 20 years and it sits in the garage when not in use and the rust has never came back on it.

The sills are in bad shape on my Trabbi but have not gotten any worse. I try to avoid driving it when the roads are wet. Summer pop up showers are hard to avoid but because it's so hot, any water usually flashes off within a couple of hours when exposed.
  10. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

My insurance is "on" from today and the weather seems to be good rest of the week, so it can finally get out on the road again. they talk about cold weather in the weekend again.... :)
  11. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Here the same with weather....:(
    Tomorrow Trabant get his technical inspection.....