1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. Stevebrooks

Stevebrooks Newbie

Hi (Again).
    Is there an easy way or replacing my steering wheel?
    The one on the car is not an original Trabi one and I have bought a replacement from Reich Tuning along with a couple of pins. I guess I have to remove the cowling and knock the existing pin out (with something? Hammer and screwdriver??) then fit the new one and bash a new pin in ?
    Cheers
    Steve
  2. DaveinOz

DaveinOz Aussie Trabant Nutter Forum Donor

Hi Steve, I replaced mine recently, the pin was seriously stuck in there. I ended up using a balljoint separator to push it out because a gentle tap with a hammer and punch was not doing anything and I was worried about using too much force by hammering on the steering column. I would recommend using a puller or some sort of other tool to ease the pin out. After that I used a g-clamp to fasten the pin back in to the new steering wheel.
    scarrabri likes this.
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I had no luck using the hammer and punch method. I ended up using a C-Clamp, a bolt the same diameter of the pin and socket larger than the pin. Then just started cranking the C-clamp down until the pin was pushed inside the socket.

Getting the pin back it, I just started it in with a hammer then used the C-clamp to push it back in.
  4. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

balljoint separator only way good advice daveinOz [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. ummeli

ummeli Premium Member Forum Donor

I also replaced an original steering wheel with a better one from Danzer Autoteile. It was just a hammer and pin job.

For some reason I can't make contact with Reich Tuning, but I don't think they ship to the U.S. anyway.
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Do feel to bad. They have no drop down box for United States. I emailed the guy (twice) to see if he would sign me up fro an account but never heard back from him. I guess he didn't want to do business outside the E.U.
  7. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

I hope they do or us in the uk may find ourselves unable to order parts soon!
  8. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

i have had a look on rich tuning found this

"For shipping abroad, higher shipping fees apply. The valid for the respective country package is displayed when ordering after entering the appropriate delivery address, or - if you are logged in your customer account with a stored address - already in the shopping cart."