1. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

so doug gave us a score off 33 and we are near the bottem of the list.
    But i would not change it. He also drove the not so nice one a few years ago.
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

"Doug"? Who is Doug? Doug DeMuro? The guy who thinks every car should be comparable to a Mercedes-Benz? The Trabant is not a Benz, nor was it intended as such. It was reliable, basic transport in a country recovering from WW2 under the handicaps of Stalinism, the Cold War and an economy of scarcity, using the crude materials that they had on hand. It's a triumph of ingenuity over politics. He picked an example of a Trabi that had a lot of problems, and based his prejudiced judgment on that. In other words, it confirmed what he wanted to believe.
  3. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

yep that doug i agree he drove a non fine car and still gave the car a low but fair number. I found him saying that he would go look at it at a car show just shows how much the car really means.
  4. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

This one:
    That's Robert Dunn's car (St. Louis area).
    He has a collection of "not-so-perfect" cars and has fun at the cars expense on his YouTube channel, Aging Wheels: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1lIHn3KlcJimyxsVugP4uw
    He has taken his 601 to the drag strip, out to a rally cross and always pokes fun at the car.
    Not in a bad way, but not in a good way either.
    Robert attended the 10th in DC last year and I hope he will return this year as well.
    I did order one of his "Smoking is Cool" tee shirts (I wear it at every cruise night I attend).
    Roger nailed it. If you want to think the Trabant is a POS, that is what you will believe.
    As most of us know, a little research and reading makes the informed understand the car is a miracle of technology from a time and place with limited to zero resources.
    I know Heike can beat Robert's ET of 26 seconds in the 1/4 mile
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  5. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

Well, Bill, that sounds like a challenge
    Washington, 3AM, trying to find a desolate stretch of highway, measured to a 1/4 mile, and we'll really find out who can really beat 26 seconds
    I'm in!!!
  6. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

they do this in germany during the trabant meet every 2 years. they do a autox course and a breaking challenge