1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Well, it's about that time. Cooler weather is around the corner. We will soon have to flip the snouts around on our air cleaners.

Here is my latest attempt at creating a more comfortable ride during the winter months. Seems every attempt I've made so far is like pissing in the wind.

If heat is accumulative then on any given day the heated air entering the cabin is 100F hotter than the ambient air temperature. Example 40F outside, the air coming out of the heater is 140F. So the cabin should be quite toasty.

The temperature is not the problem, it's the air flow. My theory is this fan should help stir up the air a bit within the cabin.

My wife bought this small desk fan somewhere and decided it didn't work for her or something. It's supposed to run on two 1.5 volt D cell batteries.

I soldered the power wires from an old USB extension cord to the battery contacts. Then plugged this into my power point I installed to recharge my cell phone.

I mounted it under the fuel tank cutout with 3M adhesive. The fan flips so the battery pack is used as a mount.

I can feel it moving air and unlike some of the other fans I've tried it's quiet.

I'll give it a shot and see how it works.

Attached Files:

2. I think you are on the right track with the fan. In the past few bitterly cold winters, I've had the unfortunate pleasure to be frozen in 3 different older "West German " diesels.

Lastly the Merc w123 240d, had the heater fan stop working. Until it was fixed, was like a meat locker inside.

The car may very well have one of the greatest heaters in the world, but without a fan- nothing. Not even a bit!

Much worse for the w114-115 models.. The whole fricken dash has to come out. The motor literally sits outside, below wiper, unprotected from the weather.

Crap, I'm ranting on here.

Anyway, the best thing to get air into the car, would be a draft / ram air fan(in side of the pipe)- to the inside.

The guy in this link has the same Idea for a subaru 360.

3. turbofiat124

HAH! I actually have one of those same 3" fans I tried on the Trabbi. I mounted it between the elbow sound dampener (or what ever you want to call it) and the snout on the firewall. It worked to some degree but was somewhat noisy. The amount of airflow it did boost was not worth the trade off. I'm really surprised that the guy with the Subaru 360 noticed a big improvement with it over the stock fan(s). But if they are worn out and drawing more power than the generator could produce, I can see why.

One of the best (yet ill fated) attempts I made was to use a 4" bilge pump fan in place of the elbow. The problem with that was it sounded like all the engine noise was being dumped into the cabin. You'd be surprised how much noise that screen inside absorbs noise, and how much air flow it also restricts. Just like an engine muffler.

I was kind of afraid these plastic fans may melt eventually. So pulling hot air threw them is probably not a good idea.

I've since acquired an original gas heater system. I had thought about mounting it in the cold air duct and running it on one of those #1 propane cylinders. Zausel was selling the system. I mainly wanted just the fan.

The blower fan from that system actually moves quite a bit of air when I hooked it up to the battery. I then rigged it up to blow through the heat exchanger but couldn't feel much air flow. I'm thinking about mounting a snout to it and using it to pull heated air from the damper into the cabin. Well see how that goes.

I don't know if you can view these photos, but here are some rigged up attempts I made last winter.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Trabant/Trabant heater?sort=2&page=1

With my Fiat Spider, I've driven this car in subfreezing weather and the heater on that thing is so good, I can take my coat off. The weird thing about that car is I seldom run the heater fan. Unless I'm at a red light. There is enough downdraft forced against the windshield through the vent in the cowl, just driving at speeds above 30 mph, seems to blow the same amount of air as the blower fan.

Another idea I thought of was to install one of those NASA scoops behind the grill where normally cold air would be channeled through the long hose and funnel air directly into the heat exchanger. But I'd probably loose some heat that way.

There has to be some way of boosting air flow on the heaters on these cars without a bunch of noise.
  4. I would guess to get some of the sound out, a fan would have to be mounted under the hood(before air silencer thingy). I had a 58 hillman minx that had the fan, in the duct hose under the hood. It's all about the speed, and blade.

Here is what I am on about-

Wrong voltage, but shouldn't be super loud. Or was this what you tried?

Note: MUCH cheaper on ebay.....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SUNCOURT-Inductor-4-in-Dia-Galvanized-Steel-Axial-Duct-Fan/1000018183

With this, and a 12v inverter, wouldn't it work? Aside from the amp draw......:eek:
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  5. turbofiat124

I considered one of those but couldn't find one that runs on 12 volts.

My 6 to 12 volt converter only puts about 10 amps. Well it has a 10 amp in-line fuse going to it. I have the output run to a separate 6 fuse, fuse panel under the dash.

I'm currently running my aftermarket electronic ignition, radio, fuel guage (and backlight), LED backup light license plate frame, 12V power point and cigarette lighter running off it. So far I haven't blown the fuse going to it.

The cigarette lighter seems to pull the most current. It takes awhile for it to heat it up and causes the fuel guage to act funny and it's backlight to dim but doesn't cause the engine to run weird or the radio to cut out.

I found this powerful 4" blower:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAFLO-4-In...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

It seems to pull alot of amps and may require a separate step up converter to power it. My idea was to mount it on a piece of metal (or plywood) on top of the engine in place of the air cleaner. Then use it to blow air into the heat exchanger.

When I get a chance I'm going to mount the 6V gas heater fan between the elbow and firewall entry a go. I'll need to attach a 3.25" inlet snout to it. The outlet funnels down to about 2" or so. So then I'd need to go from that back to 3.25" using one of those turbo silicone reducers.

It hasn't gotten cold enough yet to see if the desk fan under the dash helps stir up the air up within the cabin.