1. Comrade Norwegen

Comrade Norwegen Puttering Along

As my hometown of Bergen in Norway is a coastal town, there are a lots of cruise ship tourists visiting the city in the summer period.

And from time to time, we get visits from visitors who wish to bring their own boats... simply because they can.

Last summer was one of those times, a guy decided to bring his own boat and anchor it up in town, and since I was around, I decided to bring my Trabi up alongside and takes some pictures of it and the ship.

And guess who showed up??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's a place in the city centre where we car people usually meet in the afternoon, I usually go and park my car there and go get some ice cream on the warmer days, and have a chat with other car people. The Trabi gets a lot of attention among people walking past!

The best encounter I had was an evening when driving my friends to the city, just as I dropped them off, a young guy who was a couple of years older than me, came running from the fish market near by over to me and knocked on my window "I'm from East-Berlin! My parents had a Trabi just like this, it was their first car and they waited years to get one! I'd never expect to see one here in Norway!". That was just one epic moment!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One day when out driving, I met this guy with a beautifully restored Peugeot 404, which in my eyes look like Trabi's bigger brother. Have a look:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

I would rather have the trabi than the yatch I agree the Peugeot looks like a big trabi
    Comrade Norwegen likes this.
  3. aardvark64

aardvark64 Puttering Along

Great pictures - thanks for posting them.

Off-topic, but I have very fond memories of Bergen. I worked at the gas plant at Kollsnes and helped install the pipelines to Troll A. Long time ago, but I remember very well the harbour area where you parked up!

mvh, Colin
    Comrade Norwegen likes this.
  4. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Is that Trump in the white hat on the right hand side in the first picture? :D

I hadn't thought about it before but you are right - the 404 and Trabant do have some clear similarities. Given that the Pug went into production in 1960 I guess it is the Trabant that is the copy ;)

Pininfarina also sold the same basic styling to BMC (Austin A60/Morris Oxford V) although the Peugeot was both the prettiest and the best of the three cars. Only high (pre-Common Market) import taxes stopped 404 being a sales success in the UK...
  5. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I like what you have done to your trabi front grill
  6. Comrade Norwegen

Comrade Norwegen Puttering Along

The black "triangle" was actually on the car when I got it, although it was a bit faded and chipped.

I refreshed it with some black hammerite, hand painted to the grill :)
  7. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

like the colour
  8. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

@ Comrad Norwegen,that is right.
    In Germany they call this Peugeot 404 "Riesen Trabant" means big Trabant!