1. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

When dismantling the front axles to do repairs, I had to tap the drive shaft ends through the hub bearings because they were a bit of a tight fit. I managed to do this by taking off the retaining strap holding the rubber bellows and left the gearbox end of the drive shaft in situ. Now I'm wondering on re=assembly what is the best way to get the drive shaft ends back through the hubs so they seat correctly. I'm guessing they will need tapping back in or is there a way to draw them back in with a puller? Mine are the tapered shaft type.
  2. TheHun

TheHun Puttering Along Forum Donor

Wouldn't they go in enough to be able to pull them with the nut?, getting them to disengage is usually the hard part - putting them in should be a lot easier (less forceful)
  3. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

I ended up putting the tapered shafts in the freezer for about 4 hours and that seemed to make the job of tapping them back through the bearings a lot easier than I thought it would be. It certainly didn't do any harm in doing this. Once they were far enough through to put on the hub nut then I pulled the shaft through with the nut.
  4. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

While trying to figure out this weird front end rumbling noise, I pulled the hubs off and had no issues pushing the stubs ends back through the bearings. I think I did smack them with a rubber mallet to initially push them out of the bearings but the nut pulled them back in.

The main trouble this time for some odd reason was getting the driver's side hub off using the tool. For some reason it wouldn't budge. I tried using a pipe wrench on the axle but it kept slipping.

So I put the passenger side wheel back on, lowered the car down to where the passenger wheel was touching the ground while supporting the other side with a floor jack, then put the car in gear. This allowed me to turn the hub removal tool on the driver's side wheel clockwise with the opposite wheel trying to turn the opposite direction. If that makes any sense.

I've had this hub off many of times when doing the brakes. I don't know why it was a bugger this time.