1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

I made it 200 miles before something happened to the engine. Has a odd, squeaky, rattly buzzy sort of sound. Almost like a loose metal cover rattling. Makes the whole car vibrate bad at idle. Sounds better with high rpms.

It is getting louder little by little.

Seems the idle was getting more labored, as it was struggling.

So I made it home, ran a little slower- but not by much. Me thinks it is coming from the lower case area(crank bearings ready to blow..)

First thing I checked was to un hook the Alternator, and fan- sound still there!

Took off the metal shrouds, still the same. Each time I started it , it got worse....

Started to investigate further, popped off #2. The base nuts were loose, but not #1?

The piston, bearing, pin looks fine.

The crank spins normally by hand. I can't really feel any problems on the bottom of the rod end.

Any ideas?

I have another engine, that I may very well have to reseal, and use the top half from this one.
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

it sounds like your bearings are breaking up they run in cages which break alowing the bearings to move about which then lets the crank move,sounds like an engine overhaul or at least a strip down to see whats happening,it only takes 15-20 minutes to remove the engine so its not to bad
  3. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

This happened to me once, made all sorts of wierd noises, but ran fine most of the time. though at last it started losing power at random times, only to get it back two minutes later. :) I got replacement engine from trabantwelt. (which just got new headgaskets after 45.000 km) :)
    [​IMG]2014-07-21 17.40.44 by mati0921, on Flickr
  4. kev the builder

Matis bearing looks like my old one it ran fine but had a whizzing/rattling noise and wouldnt tickover because the crank was flapping about causing the crank seal to leak i got new bearings from germany and rebuilt the crank
  5. A Spooky Ghost

Damn, thats a bad bearing!

Mine doesn't look bad at all, everything seems fine at first glance. The rod ends, are perfect. I think I've narrowed it down to 1 of 2 things.

The two middle crank bearings- , and or the loose sealing plates on the pins. They have a great deal of flop to them.

Here is a poor quality video of the bearings, I think they sound bad. Have a bit of wiggle too. Now some bearings have play when new- are these like this?

I find no slop in a radial direction though, no rollers missing. The engine is a 10/89

What do you folks think?

6. kev the builder

your bearings sound shot the springs on the disc valves can go weak allowing the discs to rattle,the crank is a press fit so can be rebuilt if you have access to a shop press
  7. A Spooky Ghost

I have a 12 ton press. The real question is, can I get it back together running straight.

I checked out my other 601 engine today. The top end looks like it was made yesterday. Though the crank bearings let me know it was from 79'....:oops:

So for the near future, this new to me trabi will be sitting.. No plans of fixing up a crank. I funneled cash into this little monster, seems she always wants more. ;)

Id be better off getting a rebuilt crank, besides the horrific price of the thing.
  8. kev the builder

rebuilding the crank was fairly easy getting it true wasnt difficult theres a post on here about trueing it up keri put me on to it,you need a press,some steel plate,dti,copper hammer and some big thumps also a dial gauge the bearings are readily available in germany i think the set cost 120 euros

Attached Files: