1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

My family and I followed through on an invitation for me to revisit a fellow who sold me a Trabant back in 2002. It is the one featured in "Car for a Dollar." We had a great visit and the local Trabant club showed up and we had some festivities. I'll try to shrink the pictures so I can post them if there is any interest. We drove a Cabrio and a Tramp all around the area to see some remaining installations of DDR Inner German border. The club met in a museum where fine examples of DDR collectibles, rarities, everyday things, all original Trabants, etc. were on display. After some small talk we all drove to a section of inner German border for a group picture. The visit made it into the local paper. Let me know.
    BillB likes this.
  2. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Picture of Cabrio and Tramp on a little road trip.
  3. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Here is the Tramp on the road, picture taken from the Cabrio. 37539334_1048918121922705_1580391082657579008_n.jpg
    BillB and Wartburg353W like this.
  4. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

What is the red numeral license plate?
    trabant601 likes this.
  5. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Here are both cars parked at a former Grenztruppen der DDR barracks. The developer who bought it took out all of the windows then put it up for sale. Any buyers out there?
    I forgot to ask the details on that. I know that dealers can get red tags so they can transfer them around on various cars. I'll ask how he did that, it might be just for that car or for any of his collection he might need to use that day. My experience with red tags went like this, needed to drive Trabants I had bought after storing them in Germany for a while, the registrations I had bought with the cars had expired, someone knew an car dealer and asked if I could drive using one of his red tags. I drove all over the place with those and just had to bring them back. It was on the car dealers insurance.
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

37355551_1046863115461539_1717884272976592896_n
  7. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

8. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I think I can post pictures now. I'll get the one of Grenztruppen der DDR next. This one above was us getting both cars ready to drive all day. The pink Cabrio is a daily driver.
  9. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

[​IMG] The Tramp is a beauty to drive. My wife and I rode up front and our big girl in the back. No seat belts back there. She had to get used to that. Our little one rode in the Cabrio, also no seat belt back there. These cars are parked with the top either all the way up and attached or up but not attached. The material is original and has to be handled carefully.
    BillB likes this.
  10. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

[​IMG] At this location, there used to be an inner German border check point. It was the only access to a small enclave village. It was extremely restricted access. That village declared independence from the DDR a few days before Nov. 9, 1989. One of a couple "Dorfrepublik" situations. You can look it up if it amuses you.
    Wartburg353W and BillB like this.
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

[​IMG]
    Oh, here is the zoom in on the sign. We drove out to that village too. A guard tower has been purchased and turned into a by the night room for rent and down the street there is a section of inner German border fence that is approachable. I'll have to find that picture.
    BillB likes this.
  12. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Oh, I found the picture of the Grenztruppen der DDR barracks. Here it is.
    [​IMG]
    BillB likes this.
  13. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

The section of fence and gates. In those days would have been approachable from the west but certainly not from the east.
    [​IMG]
    BillB likes this.
  14. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

[​IMG]
    another nice picture of Trabants at this border remnant
    BillB likes this.
  15. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

We hit some other sites in and around this area.
    [​IMG]
    BillB likes this.
  16. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

the structure in the middle of the picture is something worth telling about.
    It was, in the west, reported as the TV and Radio communications to West Berlin. The east, like many things, saw it as provocative and espionage. It has microwave and moderns stuff on it these days.
  17. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Great pictures and information. I hope to get my Trabant over to Germany next year.
    trabant601 likes this.
  18. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Trabant und IFA-Freunde Kreis Hagenow greeted me in Amt Neuhaus for conversation, a parade of Trabants, some pictures and refreshments. Some impressions may be gathered by studying the following pictures as I find and upload them. The local press got wind of this and reported on it, albeit with multiple mistakes in the story.