1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

When I am using more rpm, or letting it go back towards lower rpm. The car has a very large shake/ buzzy rattle that can be felt in the dash, and interior. So it happens when the rpm change occurs. In the driveway, or on the road- it is exactly the same...

It has all new mounts, and the engine is running, and driving fine.

Is this just how a trabi is?

Maybe the fan has a chipped blade- knocking it off balance?
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

tires or front end/steering issue
  3. A Spooky Ghost

No, it is something to do with the revs of the motor. Feels the same idling in the driveway. After going out in it today, I'm leaning to a carb issue. The idle is not great, and it has a stumble spot as soon as the pedal is touched. Kinda like a sputter, until the revs come up. Once it spins up, it is fine. Can't be adjusted out, and the timing is spot on(ebza).
    The carb is squeaky clean, so it must be a jetting issue(no air leaks have been found). It is using the Non fuel saver carb(can't remember the model) the one right before the spar vergasser came out.
  4. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

It could be a partially blocked jet or passageway have you tried squirting card cleaner through the passageways also is the carb adjusted right on the latter ones the throttle stop possition has to be right or it won't idle properly don't know if this is the same on the older carbs
  5. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Rattles and buzzes kinda go with a Trabbi. My 2 Trabbis sound different when driving but they do have their rattle issues. You get used to it. The time to worry is when the sound is different one day. Try and identify if the rattle is from the engine or the dashboard area. Mine was loose due to a fastening screw coming out. Made a terrible din at certain revs.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  6. kev the builder

Mine had a buzzing coming from the Speedo at speed I thought it was the cable as when you got hold of it as it buzzed it stopped when I took the Speedo out when I painted the dash I found the Speedo rattled there was a spare bulb inside the speedo
  7. A Spooky Ghost

I had the carb off, and fully cleaned everything. New float too.

I'll have to get a video of the sound. Just can't explain it right. The idle makes it jerky at lower consistent speeds....

As for the buzzing, rumble. It is right after it revs up a bit, and or comes back down to almost idle. Yes the dash is getting loose, either way this engine rattle has caused it. It is nothing serious though( it sounded the same with the old crankshaft too).

Kinda like it reaches a certain frequency, then makes the whole car shake for a bit, then it goes away...
  8. kev the builder

Have you tried putting your hand over the carb inlet to see if the engine still runs by pulling air through the crank seals?
  9. A Spooky Ghost

Yeah, it is sealed tight, the crank seal rings are fine. Now the intake elbow does leak a bit.

Really it comes down to one of a few things:

Improper jetting, or it is clogged a bit

It has new rings, but they are just ok tolerance wise(on the larger gap side).

One of the crank plates doesn't sit firmly against the spinny surface.

Or the upwards of 10% ethanol in the gas is screwing with it...

10. kev the builder

The carb can be tricky to get squeaky clean an ultrasonic clean helps
  11. kev the builder

Just a thought but are all the jets in the right holes as it's possible to fit the wrongs ones by mistake
  12. A Spooky Ghost

Well, I put them back where they came from. So maybe in the wrong spot? Have to check in the manual.

Here is a video of the idle:

13. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Is the fan catching the cowling?
  14. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Other than that funny sound at that one spot, the car sounds fine. Loose fan housing bolt or alternator bracket?
  15. A Spooky Ghost

No, the fan isn't rubbing anywhere. This is a clamp only fan, and it is tight.

The fan bearings seem fine, I have a new set- so maybe those will help a little. I don't have that long, fan gasket on it( that touches the metal air shroud). Might be part of it.

The little car is quite addicting, every time I go to work on it, I end up driving it instead!
  16. A Spooky Ghost

Finally a update:

Ripped off the metal shroud, still had the same buzzing. That got me to thinking about the fan. Now I checked it before the engine rebuild, was tight-and smooth bearing wise.

Anyway unhooked the belt. All of a sudden the buzzing was reduced by about 70%...

So under a belt load the bearings were wiggling/ grinding a bit. Thankfully on the last Trabant Welt order, I got a bearing kit(for the distant future!).

Had a awful time getting the pulley off, a 2 jaw puller was bending it. So our local Advance auto rented a crank pulley puller, that so happened to be the right size for a trabbi fan pulley.

It was a 3 jaw puller, and mine wasn't rusted- so I got REALLY lucky with it.

Tried it on my other fan, it ruined the pulley.

I'm going to find the factory style clamp on puller. Off to ebay.de.....

So as of now the car vibrates a great deal less, and revs a bit easier too. The fan blades do not run true, but it is all I got...

Thanks for all of your suggestions!
  17. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Noises are always frustrating trying to track down. Especially on Trabants since they are so noisy animals to begin with.

It does kind of sound like the bearings maybe going out on the fan causing the blade to rub against the housing. I'd pull the fan and see if you can find any marks on the inside of the housing.

Make sure that the "tit" in the fan housing is aligned with the hole in the cradle. Mine wasn't and it vibrated loose and started to chew the belt up. Yours may have a threaded stud in the housing and a nut on the underside of the cradle.

I haven't driven mine in a few weeks and I am noticing all sorts of weird noises I don't recall hearing before.

Yesterday when coming home I kept hearing this whistling sound that get's somewhat louder with the engine revs. I don't recall ever hearing this noise before yesterday. If I push in the clutch or let it the engine freewheel in 4th it goes away.

I don't hear it in the morning. Maybe because I have the passenger window rolled up. I'm always paranoid about the so called "death rattle" caused by failing crankshaft bearings. But I don't think it's the engine.

This morning when pulling out of my driveway, I kept hearing this clicking noise. Like a worn CV joint. But mine does not have CV joints and I know the hinge joints are good. Then it simply went away.

I do know the exhaust system is about shot on this car. It's louder as hell compared to other Trabants I've watched on YouTube. I'm thinking once I replace the entire exhaust system allot of the noises I'm hearing may go away.

Your engine doesn't seem to shake as bad as mine. If I set the idle speed to what the manual calls for (700), the engine shakes like the engine mounts are broken. Right now I have the idle speed set to around 850 or 900 RPMs based on my handheld tachometer. It doesn't shake at that speed. I've observed the engine mounts with the engine running and they don't seem to move about like they are worn out.
  18. A Spooky Ghost

It was mostly the fan bearings, coupled with the fan gently hitting randomly inside the housing. It is bent too, the shaft is straight though.

When my crank went, it made a odd clicky- clack sound- that was louder with the revs. Really made it rumble too! Started going slower as well.

Yeah there are a lot of spots in the exhaust where it will make some screwy sounds.

Thankfully that was one of the good things on my car.

Just set your idle to where you are happy. Mine is a bit lower, because I rarely drive with the lights on.
  19. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Glad you got it sorted. Most other noises are just standard with the Trabant o_O
  20. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I think that whirling noise I'm hearing is the alternator. That's the reason I can't hear it with the passenger window rolled up. I've heard it do this before. GM AC Delco alternators seem to be bad about this. The stator crapped out on it last year and I had to have an alternator shop replace it. That's what you get buying stuff made in Mexico.