1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

Hello Chaps!

I’m very pleased with my Trabant, however due to my incurable illness of car buying I currently have 4 vehicles in my little fleet. My prized Triumph lives in the garage and my Jag has been joined by the Trabbi on the driveway. Outside on the road parking is my Fiesta I use for work.

Now in the UK classic car theft is on the increase now modern cars are hard to steal. My lime green Trabant is eye catching and I’m beginning to worry that it could attract the wrong attention. I’m out most of the day and I live in a sleepy suburb, ideal conditions for nefarious activity.

So I’m just curious about what measures other Trabbi owners take to protect their vehicles. I’m thinking of an additional steering lock that fits on the wheel and maybe a kill switch somewhere.

Please add your thoughts and comments below!
    S.
  2. Penfold

Penfold Newbie

Hello,

I store mine in a garage as out of sight is the best detterant, but that doesn’t help you! When I have her outside for extended periods of time I use an additional steering lock on mine, the old school “crook lock”.

You could use a car cover, but the Trabant is quite small compared to modern cars so would still stand out I think.

The kill switch idea is a relatively simple one, but do you think the average thief could drive the car very far as they presumably wouldn’t know about the fuel tap or gears on the car?

Penfold
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

The petrol tap and column change will deter casual thieves , fit a decent steering lock but it won't stop someone stealing the car for long if they're a determined professional
  4. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

I use a visible bar lock on the steering wheel. If you wanted to go further, a wheel clamp would be a good visible deterrent.
  5. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

Well you’d think the fuel tap and gears would be a game stopper, but the first few results of the search Trabant on YouTube gives me a selection of videos on how to start and drive a Trabant. You may think I’m being a bit paranoid but I know a good few people who’s cars have been taken and never seen again.

The car is incredibly light, I can pick up the front or rear end and wheel it by myself. Two big guys could lift the car onto a trailer. I’ll look into steering lock types available, but battery isolation is a must too I think. Sadly we live in a bad world.
  6. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Hi,

Worthwhile discussion, for sure!

I use Diskloks on all my vehicles, incl. camper van, etc....Cumbersome, but can be stored in a bag that's available as an option, when not in use.

Covers the whole of the steering wheel, as long as you buy the right diameter one, for your particular car!

Not cheap...but very good bit of kit, in my experience.

My Trabi's got one on in the garage where she resides,...even though she's not roadworthy totally yet!!!!

Regards,

Ian.
  7. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

We use a disklok on my Dad's 1986 Audi Coupe, it's a chunky bit of kit but as you say it's a good bit of kit. Just don't drop it on your girlfriend's toes like I did once! :oops:

I'm going to look into getting a tailored outdoor cover for the car, I use one of these on my Jag when I know I won't be driving her for a few weeks. Not only does it keep the car clean, it can also be clipped into place and locked with a cable which is another layer of security. I'll also fit an isolator as I said and look into a steering lock.

It's sad that we have to take such measures, but sadly the world we live in is not a safe one.
  8. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Take the steering wheel off and bring it in the house with you when you park it.
  9. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

Or just go all the way

[​IMG]
  10. Mark Burr

Mark Burr Newbie

Mr Bean's solution.. remove steering when & carry with you, also pad lock door LOL
    (if you don't know who Mr Bean is you won't get this)
    images.jpg sam_2337.jpg
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  11. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

Um....well, that's an interesting way to padlock the door. I don't think it does what they think it does. :D
  12. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

couple of diffrent ways to do it, if me i would do a kill swich on the starter, or if you have electronic ignition. easy way is to pull the spark plug cables off if it sits for a bit.
  13. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I would be surprised if someone who has never driven a Trabant would actually know how to shift gears! When the truck driver dropped mine off in a parking lot, I had to practice for about 15 minutes before I got the hang of it since I have never driven one before.

And then they would have to know how to properly start it. If they have had experience using a choke, they would be fooled when they pulled the fuel enrichment valve out all the way out and flooded the engine! You can't do that with the older style carb that dumps raw fuel into the engine. Maybe you can with the fuel saver carburetor that uses an actual choke.

But yeah, I'd go with adding a toggle switch under the dash and wire it so it breaks power going to the ignition coils.

Around here most people are too scared to mess with people's personal property since everybody owns guns!