1. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

I had no problem registering/licensing my Trabant in the state of Washington but can imagine in other US states it is not so easy or perhaps not possible at all.

Maybe we could start a list! Could be helpful with people who may move in the future.
  2. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Kentucky is no problem with a title from another state. I have never tried to register one without it already being done somewhere else in the US.
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

No problem in Massachusetts.
  4. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Tennessee will allow you to register a car without documentation but it has to be 30 years old. When I mean no documentation, they are going on the assumption the car is a "barn find" and the last person who registered it has died or is unknown. In other words, if you import a car and it does come with some documentation, it's best to not mention that the car was imported from over seas. Just tell them you found it in a field or barn and you want to apply for a title. Since it's never been registered here, it won't show up in their system.
  5. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

az
    will take a title from other states, may require a level 1 inspection aka make sure vin matches the tile
    then you need emissions testing, if 67 or older no emissions testing or you can get collector car insurance and the makes you not have to go pass smog. (both of my cars have this)

abandon title is way way harder
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Just curious but before the 17 digit VIN system used before 1981 or 1982 models, do these numbers mean anything? Like the 17 digit VIN indicates stuff like country of origin, where it was assembled, displacement, etc.

Seems like before that, VIN numbers were something made up by the manufacturer and I think have no real meaning. They are just a number. Or could indicate a production number.

Reason being I have an old Kinetic Moped I'm thinking of installing one of those 110 cc Chinese knock off engines on. The problem is it's a 1996 model and I have no title to it. I don't think I have to register it but a police officer told me anything with a VIN plate has to be registered in the state of TN. However they cannot make you register a bicycle with an engine because it has no VIN.

I have a couple of old mid 70s Suzuki 550s (long story) that do not run. I was thinking about using the numbers off one of these bikes and buying a blank Suzuki VIN plate, stamp the numbers on it and install it on the Kinetic moped.

This moped could pass for a 1976 model so I doubt the Police would question it. I could fill out on the application that it's a Suzuki 50 instead of a 550! And get me some Suzuki badges.

the only thing is, it will no longer be 49 ccs. Anything under 110 cc I can ride with a car licence.
  7. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

Illinois is easy.
    I'd guess 15+ Trabants titled and licensed in our fine state.
  8. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

Iowa was easy as well. A state vehicle inspector has to check the paperwork (import papers, EPA, last registration) against the VIN on the car. After that you can register at the county building. The hardest part was figuring out that the inspector had to look at the documents/car. The county I live in had not dealt with an imported car in quite a while, if ever.