1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. rmcdaniels

rmcdaniels Newbie

Hello All, new owner here.

I was looking to replace the transmission oil and I read several threads about what type of oil to use, but not how much. Looking at the transmission, it looks like the drain plug is on the bottom of the differential final drive gear housing, which is easy enough. I see a square plug on the driver's side end of the transmission; is that the fill hole?

Thanks
  2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

3. rmcdaniels

rmcdaniels Newbie

Thanks Jeff, and thanks for the link. I posted an introduction and look forward to getting this car running properly.
  4. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I don't know where you live but if you live in the United States and want to use HLP-68 which is what the transmission calls for, it's called AW-68 here in the US. It's a mineral oil with zinc additives. You can get it at Tractor Supply or O'Reilly's auto-parts. It's even cheaper than SAE-30 engine oil or automatic transmission fluid which you can use also.
  5. rmcdaniels

rmcdaniels Newbie

Thanks, that helps. AW-68 is 30wt hydraulic pump oil, so I'm guessing that any 30wt yellow-metal friendly oil will work. I've got some Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid here that I use in my Honda Civics that should be perfect for it.
  6. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

i run 1 qt of dexcon m3 auto fluid
    drain plug is on the bottem, fill is on the top plastic hex thing

open the inspection bolt on the driver side tiny 10 mm bolt looks way smaller like 8mm

drain out bottem then refill till it seeps out the inspection bolt takes like .94ish of a qt

i maybe over change mine but it is so easy i do it every year and at 4bucks it is cheap and easy