1. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Hi all,

For a few weeks ago I was with a friend of my for one day to Zwickau for this Trabant ausstellung.
    This museum was great and I have seen also some proto type's I never knew they excists.
    Have seen also a Trabant with a 3 cilinder diesel engine and with a rotary (wankel) engine.
    They were never produced but this diesel engine they have tested it on the East-German roads at that time.

During trip to Zwickau we have also passed former border in Eisenach,herleshausen (Wartha) and have found a hidden BT-9 watchtower.
    It was abandoned but very cool.

Here a few pictures for impression.
    I have made more than 400 pictures that day so if some one is interested in some more pictures I will post hem later!
    z1.jpg z2.jpg z3.jpg z4.jpg z5.jpg z6.jpg z7.jpg z8.jpg
    Berlin89 and RogerDerSchrauber like this.
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Gotta go there....sometime.
  3. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Here some pictures from this diesel and wankel engine.
    They told me that this diesel prototype was also developed with VW (look at rims,it is from Golf mk1)

pr1.jpg pr2.jpg pr4.jpg pr3.jpg pr5.jpg pr6.jpg
  4. 1983JZR3W

1983JZR3W Puttering Along

Great photos and thanks for posting!! More please.
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Awesome photos! Those are some nice prototypes.
  6. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

I will post more but step by step....there are a lot but I will post most interessting pictures.

Thnx for likes!
    Bill Overbaugh likes this.
  7. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

More,

Also take pictures of a Trabant without his duroplast skin so you can see al the metal work a trabant has.... c5.jpg c6.jpg
    Caleb and kev the builder like this.
  8. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Interkosmos Trabinaut Forum Donor

Thanks for posting! I want a 1.1! I want a diesel Trabi! Oooh, I want a wankel powered one too! It does seem odd to apply western consumerism to a material object of communism, but the desire is strong. Great photos; much appreciated.
  9. turbofiat124

I know the 1.1s had the fuel filler on the passenger side quarter panel but this is a nice touch. For safety reasons I'd like to relocate the fuel tank to the trunk and use one of those fuel cells for race cars. Now that I got that gasoline heater system I could use the 6 volt fuel pump to pump fuel to the carburetor.

[​IMG]
  10. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

There is one Trabant I like to buy if I had a lot of money....the kubel!!
    That is one of my favorite one and originaly in NVA color setting and equipment.

c3.jpg c4.jpg
  11. turbofiat124

12. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

This kubel models in very good and original shape are expensive!
    Here in Europe they can cost 10 to 25k....depends of condition.
    Normaly 10-15 €.
  13. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Polizei Trabant,

c1.jpg c2.jpg
    turbofiat124 likes this.
  14. turbofiat124

Love the phone on the dashboard! But I guess that's for the radio and not an actual cellphone. I remember my parents had one of those "bag phones" in their 92 BMW 325 back in the 1990s. I thought why would anybody need a phone in their car? Or need to carry a phone around with them! Back in those days a mobile phone was a status symbol. Now we are just slaves to technology.
  15. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Yes,it is for radio to headquarters.(like: we got the thief and we will locked him up in cell block nine,over :D)
    Yes,cellphones,in the early/mid 90s the came and when people carry them it look like refrigurators that big!
  16. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

In between there was also a haning cut-in-half Trabant.... cut2.jpg cut1.jpg cut.jpg
    kev the builder likes this.
  17. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

i like the cut aways,my mate had an early mobile it had a box attatched to it like my 110volt transformer,it weighed about the same as well he had it in a rucksack for walking around,the uk police radois had what looked like a phone handset on them,the ones around here would be used for saying thats that kev lets see what hes up to today
  18. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

19. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade

I am fortunate enough to be heading to Zwickau for work on June 6/7. I may just have to stop by the Trabant museum and Trabantwelt!
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  20. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

place is amazing, the workshop is hard to find but worth the trek to see. I have picts from our visit in 2012, the horsch car collections is great to see also.

go see the workshop if you only have time for thing