1. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

It's my pleasure to invite all Trabis to beautiful upstate NY May 13 and 14 2017 for a tour of the Fingerlakes.

We are calling it the Two Strokes Around the Lakes Rally. It will be based in Ithaca NY on May 13, 14
    This will be a driving tour, covering approximately 100 miles per day, with stops at local attractions, including wineries, museums, and car collections. A sweep trailer will be provided, as well as mechanical support.

When I get an idea of the interest, I will lock down a hotel with ample trailer parking and a group rate.

I hope to see you all in May!
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Caleb likes this.
  2. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Moderator

Bill, Very interested to attend.
    Just want to verify that the date is actually May 13 & 14, 2017 (not 2016), correct?
  3. Bill Overbaugh

Good catch BillB... I meant 2017. Editing the original post now...

I've also received comments that weekend is Mothers' Day weekend. I have not locked in hotel block yet, so we could change weekends ... so if anyone is interested, but knows that weekend won't work because of that, please let me know, and we can look at moving the date.
  4. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

Sounds like a good time, I am in for sure. Hope it turns out as good as last years' gathering in Nashville!
  5. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Niki and I are in!
  6. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Would love to go, but our son is graduating from college that weekend. Definitely next year!
  7. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

love it, should be able to participate
  8. Bill Overbaugh

So I've looked at alternate weekends, and decided that this really will be the best weekend, despite it being mother's day. It looks like we have at least 5 cars - FrogBros, TNTrabi, KYTrabi, my Dad and me. Plus, I have a friend who will join us and drive my four stroke Barkas. So I will work on locking down a hotel block.

Two questions for the group... The Watkins Glen race track is about 15 minutes away. They offer a drive-the-track experience where you get to do 3 laps around the track behind a pace car. However, 1) it's $25 per car and 2) it's only on weekdays, so it would have to be Friday. I was thinking of Friday-Saturday for the tour anyway, so people travel Thursday, tour Friday and Saturday and travel home Sunday to be with Mom (unless she's coming along).

So
    1) Do you like Friday-Saturday, Saturday-Sunday or Saturday only for the tour?
    2) Do you like the idea of driving the track and are you up for $25 to do that?
  9. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Moderator

Bill,
    Now I gotta find a way there. I still hold a track record at The Glen on the GP long course. Would be just too cool to drive around WGI in the Trabi (at a touch slower speed!)
    Look under the class "FST"
    http://nediv.com/images/trackrecords/glen-lc-161009.pdf
    Still no promises, but now I've got purpose
  10. Bill Overbaugh

Ok folks after many conversations, mostly offline, I decided the rally will be May 12 and 13, a Friday/Saturday. This way people can travel Thursday and Sunday, and some can still get home to mom for Mother's Day.

We're putting together the tentative schedule, which will include roughly 4 hours of driving, plus some fun attractions each day. Friday will circle Seneca lake, through the scenic Fingerlakes wine trail, and feature a trip to the Watkins glen race track, where we will have a chance to rocket around the track at breakneck speeds. After that, we will visit the Glen Curtis museum to see some cool vintage airplanes, gliders and a few cars. In the evening, we will have a barbecue at my dads place and get to tour his collection. Saturday is not fully fleshed out, but it will circle Cayuga Lake, and we will stop at a goat farm and cheese factory, a creamery with ice cream made on site, and stops at local waterfalls.

If you can't make it for both days, you are still welcome to come for a portion.

Obviously, there won't be any charge, just each person will be responsible for their own travel, accommodations, and entrance to the attractions (under $50/day).

Next step will be to figure out accommodations. I'll keep you posted.
    Justin and Caleb like this.
  11. frogbros

Keep us posted
  12. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Any updates on hotel ideas?
  13. Bill Overbaugh

Hello friends!

So I have taken enough straw polls to decide that with the number of people attending, I will find host families in the area for everyone to stay for free. So a couple at my house, a couple at my Dads, and others at friends and family right in town. The trouble is our town is so small that we don't have any hotels, so you have to go about 15 miles to Ithaca, which is fine, but with the colleges in Ithaca, rooms are really expensive ($150+) and we don't have enough people to nail down a room block and get a good rate.

If you want to spend money and have a little more privacy, then here are my recommendations:
    In Trumansburg (where Dad and I live):
    Gothic Eves Bed and Breakfast 607-354-4413
    Halsey House Bed and Breakfast 607-387-5428
    Juniper Hill Bed and Breakfast 607-387-3044
    In Ithaca (15 miles away)
    Super 8 Hotel (607) 269-8358 (cheapest hotel on this list, probably under $100. You get what you pay for, but I've also heard it's not a bad hotel)
    Hotel Ithaca 607-272-1000
    Hilton Garden Inn (607) 277-8900
    Holiday Inn Express (607) 277-1100
    Hampton Inn (607) 277-5500
    Ithaca Marriott (607) 272-2222 (this hotel is brand spanking new, opened less than 6 months ago)
    There are many other fine hotels in Ithaca, but these are the ones that are closest to us.

So please get in touch with me if you're going to be attending, and I'll get you set up with a place to stay for free.

If anyone chooses to stay in a local hotel or Bed and Breakfast, I won't be offended. But you will be welcome parking your truck and trailer, or Trabant and trailer, at my Dad's. We've got lots of room.

Also, I hope that everyone is able to come with a Trabi, but if you can't, then you can fly into Ithaca (20 minutes from us) or Syracuse or Rochester (both an hour and a half from us) and we'll figure out arrangements to pick you up. I have a variety of gutless, unreliable foreign cars which I can loan you to feel like you're part of the group.

I hope to see everyone in May!!

Bill
    Tim S likes this.
  14. Bill Overbaugh

A little update, I spoke to the owners of the Halsey House last weekend, and they said they have availability that weekend and if you mention that you're with me, they'll give a discount. However, their rates start at $209 a night. It is one of the nicest places you can stay in the area, worth the money, but the hotels in Ithaca are certainly less expensive.
  15. frogbros

see you soon
  16. Bill Overbaugh

Hi everyone,
    We're two weeks away! Dad and I are looking forward to having you all join us.
    As I understand it, we're looking at: FrogBros, TNTrabi, KYTrabi (Caleb), and Melissa & Scott. With my car and Dad's, that's 6 cars, which is fantastic. Anyone else able to make it? BillB?
    See you soon!
    Bill
  17. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

Been trying but can't get the time off from work
    But, I do need a syrup refill
  18. Bill Overbaugh

OK it's official, free home made maple syrup to anyone who comes!
  19. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

Who made the syrup? And was propane used in the heating of said syrup?
  20. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

I got mine in Nashville, using sparingly because it's so precious