1. Ian

Ian Puttering Along

Hi All...and a happy new year!!

I am a newbie to Wartburgs I am afraid,...but, am seeking some help!

I have a Trabant 601 which had some factory-sourced rally car mods added to it, by it's original German owner, as he was in the lucky position of being able to buy r&d parts from the GOTHA works, when it closed down.
    My car utilises 311-type driveshafts, which connect to a modified Trabant transaxle, utilising what I assume are 311 gearbox / driveshafts? The inboard ends have a spider, with 3 x needle roller bearings, which locate in a "sliding joint-type tubular casing".
    I purchased the car, with new parts to reassemble the shafts, but want to be 100% sure that I put them all back together correctly, obviously. The bearings appear to probably be retained on the shafts by a large circlip, part way along the splined end of each shaft.
    Would anyone have a page/s from a Wartburg 311 manual that they could send me...and some addit. knowledge/experience perhaps?!
    The inboard rubber gaiters appear to either butt-up against two ridges on each shaft, or perhaps locate between them, by means of a gaiter-retaining strap, I assume?...Or perhaps, they are meant to slide, without straps, like the Citroen 2CV system used to?!!........
    Lastly,...what type/spec. of grease should I use in the inboard C.V. /Sliding joint...and at the outboard hub end c/v/ joints, when fitting the new/replacement rubber gaiters?

Any help, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

3. Ian

Ian Puttering Along

Thanks once again,..for the contact name and details.

I'll give him a try!
  4. Ian

Ian Puttering Along

Hi all.
    Have contacted Peter Frost, who was very helpful, however he has no current facility to sort out any part diagrams of what Wartburg shaft/hub parts were used on my Trabant Historic Rally car.
    He suggested that I perhaps UPRATE the whole driveshaft system to a later Wartburg-type set-up....due to the "potential" increase in power and the earlier driveshaft/hub arrangements NOT being too reliable.
    Seems a bit extreme, on the face of it, but this means that I have 3 x resultant problems at this stage, which I now need some HELP with:-

1. On the early OUTER drive gaiter ("captive/non-rotating", on inner hub edge), they have a pair of nylon bushes, with felt seals, that "ride" the rotating driveshaft. These are retained within the inner, central hole, on the gaiter and then in turn, they are covered with a BLACK PLASTIC/RUBBER "CAP" that is shown clearly in my accompanying pics. Due to getting the car, without the correct gaiters, etc.....I have got everything subsequently, EXCEPT for 1 NO. of the BLACK "CAPS"!!!!
    No longer avail. from LDM in Germany....so, does ANYONE have a decent used one, OR can point me to any supplier/s that CAN provide them still?
    (This is the only option really, in order to finish my build, put the car through a U.K-type M.O.T. Test and USE it!................
    Otherwise, I will HAVE TO POTENTIALLY, completely modernise/upgrade both shaft assys., to the more modern Wartburg type?!).

2, Does ANYONE have a full set of driveshafts and the necessary hubs/shafts, to enable me to upgrade to the later type Wartburg assys.??
    IF NOT, does anyone know of any supplier/s around Europe/the World, that CAN supply ALL the anticipated parts?
    (Bear in mind that my vehicle has Air cooled/finned Wartburg drum brakes and factory modified/vented backplates, that ideally, I would like to retain, for originality, IF POSS?!.).

3. Otherwise ....ANY sensible/cost-effective thoughts with regard to upgrading the front hubs and driveshafts...and brake assy. from drums to discs, perhaps?

Thanks for any help that can be forwarded and be assured that it WILL be very much appreciated!

Regards,

Ian
    (Somerset, U.K.)
  5. Ian

Ian Puttering Along

Can't reduce photo file size at present...so, will try to reduce and post onto thread for you, later today!

Apologies.
  6. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

trabantwartburgalkatresz.eu is one place in Hungary that does parts for wartburg. The catalog has technical drawings that show the drive shafts. But they appear to have splines on both ends.
  7. Ian

Ian Puttering Along

Cheers Ian......I'll drop them a line, although I suspect that the part is for the earlier "cold welded-type hubs", that I may well appear to have, rather than "splined version"!

If you still want those 2 x new Continental (Mikuni - type) v-belts, for a decent price, incl. p/p....Do drop me a line via email.

Regards,

Ian.
  8. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Without seeing a picture of part would it be a possibility to make the part locally from black nylon ? Sounds like it could be fairly easily turned on a lathe if you have the other side to copy
  9. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

There was a guy at foxfild last year selling a trabant LDM disc conversion kit that he had bought and never used . It's possible he still has kit . A post on face book might turn up his name
  10. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

11. Ian

Ian Puttering Along

Hi, Sorry for not having been able to put pics up...I.T. probs!!

Turns out, my RS used early Wartburg gaiters and nylon and rubber components, including this dense rubber, moulded dust seal, that rotates along with the drive shaft, on each side of the car....but, strangely was said to poss be a Trabant part, rather than Wartburg,..just to confuse things?!!!!......

A very friendly German part supplier I contacted, referred me to "Project601" a very useful supplier for Wartburg and Trabant parts.

They HAD it....so, I have ordered 2 x , so that I have a spare....and only 3.50 Euros each + p/p!!!!

LDM, UNUSUALLY STATED THAT THEY COULD NOT SUPPLY, ON SATURDAY, AS THE PART HAD BEEN OUT OF PRODUCTION FOR 40 YEARS??!!

Will persevere and try to upload the pics that I wanted to add, when poss., for clarity, for you ALL!
  12. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

I bought a poster once with diagrams of all sort of components for Wartburgs. I'll try to snap a picture for you tonight