1. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

On an annoying note i was at the show and hadn't locked one of the doors and while my back was turned some little brat climbed in. He was old enough to know better and his dad was right beside him and said nothing
  2. Keri

Keri Leader

Big tail fins and motors and chrome is over rated. If I do route 66 again it will be by Trabant.
    tricken and RogerDerSchrauber like this.
  3. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

I'm with you, Keri. And we'll save a lot of money on gas.
  4. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

route 66 cruiseing would be fun
    dont mind us we are 2 stroking
  5. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Getting impatient to get on the road now. It's two weeks since I sent the NOVA forms to the HMRC to see if any VAT is payable. The DVLA won't play ball and give me a number plate till HMRC are through deciding. Huh, pen pushers!

Anyway, playing with the Trabi on the drive, I switched on the wipers and the linkage to the right hand wiper popped off. I thought I would take out the right hand spindle, but on trying to unscrew the 13mm nut holding the wiper arm on, it just goes round and round taking the spindle with it. At first it was really stiff but now is less so. I looked at the manual but can't see just how the spindle assembly works. Can anyone explain what goes where in the spindle assembly. Most other cars I have owned had splined spindle shafts, but the Trabi ones are very thin and don't appear to have splines.
  6. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

The wipers are a bit odd, they have a tapered nut? that clamps unto a plain shaft . You are meant to undo the 13mm nut and then they should pull off. In practice though they often wont come off . I have used a two legged puller in past which worked well
  7. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I would suggest putting vice grips on the end of the spindle inside the car to remove the 13mm nut and then borrowing a puller
  8. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

You can buy a wiper arm puller for around £5 they work good without mullering the arm or spindle
  9. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

After a night's soak in penetrating oil, the wiper nut and arm came off it's spindle with a little turning with a spanner, then the spindle would not push through it's locating tube because of a weld and washer. I don't think Zwickau wanted you to dismantle this, but I had other ideas. I wanted to lubricate it properly and so I ground off the weld and washer with a dremel tool and pushed the spindle through. All was then clear on how this is meant to assemble. Trouble is with mine, the nut was refusing to budge off the tapered threaded gadget that clamps up the spindle and the wiper arm. I ended up cutting the nut off the threads with the dremel tool. trabiwiper.jpg trabiwiper2.jpg

Then, I searched around in my boxes of nuts, bolts and stuff saved over 40 years, stuff which you save but almost never use, for a nut to fit the coarse thread on the tapered gadget thingy. And after only a few minutes found one a perfect fit. So drilled a hole through the spindle for a split pin to stop it moving up and down in its tube, and then clamped it all up with the nut and gadget and now all is well.