1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. alexddr

alexddr Newbie

2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

get photos taken outside in sunlight. Hard to say with indoor lighting.
  3. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Interkosmos Trabinaut Forum Donor

I guessing Gletscherblau, same as mine.
  4. ummeli

ummeli Premium Member Forum Donor

I need to get my Trabi repainted. Is there anything special I need to know before taking it in to an auto body shop? Particular type of paint required, etc?
  5. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

Tom,
    Not sure there is anything special about the paint, only the specific color if you're trying to perfect match to an original color.
    There is a great thread (Thanks Justin) which gives info on general originality on a number of levels.
    http://trabantforums.com/threads/trabant-601-changes-throughout-the-years.1102/

On a side note, did you have your car at Mid-Ohio in July of this year?
    A good friend sent me this photo, knowing I was a Trabi freak and that their ain't too many around these parts.
    It has Tennessee plates, but you never know......

IMG_2968.JPG
    Mithras likes this.
  6. ummeli

ummeli Premium Member Forum Donor

Thanks for the info on the paint.

Yes, we had our Trabi in central Ohio, since we live in Columbus. He have Ohio plates that say "MYTRABI" :)
    BillB likes this.
  7. Mithras

Mithras Puttering Along Moderator

A little late to the party, but, there's something about that color. It's vaguely art deco, vaguely space age. Shades of Fallout. I really have been digging the color, and others like it, on various cars I see on the road.
  8. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

I have also wondered if any special additives are needed, especially for adhesion to the duroplast, and since duroplast has a little more flexibilty than sheet metal are flex additives necessary?
    My car is also Glacier blue but has usual scrapes and scratches, so I don't know when I will go for a total respray. I know the car has been painted at least once, so it's not "original" now, which gives me more options.
  9. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

The Germans tell me standard auto lacquer doesn't work well on Duroplast and that you have to use alkyd resin enamels and primers. Go to trabantwelt, see what they've got. I have to get a door resprayed to match the rest of the car, and I have some paint for it from trabantwelt. I won't get it done until it gets warmer, but I'll keep you posted.