1. Robert tamas

Robert tamas Puttering Along

2. Robert tamas

Shot

Attached Files:

3. Ryan_M

Ryan_M Newbie

Is that an Ontario Plate on the rear? I can't tell because of the angle, but it doesn't look like a Florida plate.
  4. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I couldn't tell from the rear but there is a plate on the front (that one that is not smudged out) does look like an Ontario plate .

Florida doesn't issue front licence plates.
  5. 1983JZR3W

1983JZR3W Puttering Along

Definitely not Florida. We have green letters and numbers on a white background. IMG_0373.jpg
  6. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

"This posting has been deleted by its author."
  7. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

8. RogerDerSchrauber

9. Robert tamas

I live in Michigan i got ahold of this guy talked to him numerous times he tells me the car is" solid"" rust is light " i flew down there to look at the car cash in hand shipping ready to go this is what i found ill let the pics talk as far as the body , electrical needed work engine needed lifters or a valve adjustment , leaks oil, leaks coolant, all rubber bushings rotted car is a wreck i ended up walking the amount needed to get this car going you can find and import a good one 20190119_120707-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120539-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120530-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120502-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120816-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120518-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120729-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120509-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120656-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120650-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120716-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120505-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120632-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120600-1612x784.jpg 20190119_120707-1612x784.jpg 55tuuhg.jpeg
  10. Robert tamas

I also told him to send me pics of the bad spots what i got is not truthful to what the real story was
  11. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

Wow, it's leaving rust stains on his driveway!
  12. Robert tamas

That i think was his trailer but i with that rust this thing had my best guess is that was wasn't to bad at one point but once he move down to Florida the salt in the air ate this thing up its on a island the ocean i practically his back yard
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  13. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

I've seen/restored worse but it depends on price for something in that condition I would be looking at paying £400
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  14. RogerDerSchrauber

This car would have to be disassembled down to the last nut and bolt, and then rewelded/stripped/derusted big time. Thousands of $$ of time, labor, parts and shipping costs of same.

I wonder what condition it was in when it arrived here. Maybe he bought a pig in a poke, and didn't know what he was getting? I think I have seen this car for sale here on this forum in the past.
  15. kev the builder

I've been to look at cars described as mint when you get there the only thing mint is the green moss and mould growing on them
  16. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

That sucks having to fly down there and find out the car is a POS. I'd be highly POed if I wasted my time and money looking at a car I thought was better than that. Unless you can see a car in person, always expect it to have issues undisclosed by the buyer.

I wasn't aware how much rust my Trabant had on it until I got it. Luckily it's nowhere near as bad as the one above. I've got new "rain gutters" but have yet to weld them in. I've been saying that for years! When I say rain gutters, I mean those pieces that goes under the doors that look just like rain gutters which are installed on houses in the United States.

I've avoided (intentionally) driving my Trabant in the rain and keep it out of the weather in my garage and so far the rust hasn't gotten any worse than the day I got it 6 years ago. But realize it needs to be addressed.

I also did not know the mechanics were in such a mess on this car. It has taken me 6 years just to get the mechanical and electrical bugs worked out on this car. All that is left is having a new exhaust system installed.

Now I got this '77 MGB that is kicking my butt. The body on this car is solid and the interior and top are in good shape but the mechanics (especially the brakes) seem to be a mess and more than I bargained for. I guess I assumed that if the body and interior was in such good condition, how bad could the mechanics be?

After replacing the rear hose that was swollen (causing the rear brakes to lock up), I moved onto replacing the front brake hoses and seals in the front calipers and cleaning the insides out. I discovered one of the dual pistons on the driver's side brake caliper was seized. So I had to order a new piston. Pulled the rear drums off only to discover the rear axle seals were leaking oil and had contaminated the brake shoes! The swollen rear hose was probably due to the pinion seal slinging oil. I have no idea if the master cylinder is good. I'll know once I get the rest of the brakes put back together and if the brake pedal doesn't go to the floor. And I thought Fiats were bad about leaking oil. I've always heard British cars were bad about leaking oil so I guess I should not be surprised.

Actually, the brakes on my Trabant were pretty much as bad! One wheel cylinder was leaking and the car would jerk to one side when cold.

I believe this MGB has the original radiator hoses! But looks like the fuel hoses have been replaced for some reason.

Surprisingly , all the electrics seem to work other than the fuel gauge which reads empty and reverse lights not working but electrics are usually my thing so those shouldn't be too difficult to fix.

I've already thrown $300 worth of silly money at this thing. Luckily I don't have to order my parts from Germany (or the UK for that matter)!
  17. kev the builder

its not an oil leal on your mg its british leylands built in anti rust system,the ony time old british cars dont leak oil is when theres none in them,my old land rover seems to leak for fun you replace a seal or gasket and another leak appears then in a couple of weeks it starts again