1. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

So its almost that time of year again! Who all is planning to make the trip to DC this year? This year is number 10, hopefully we will have a pretty good crowd. I know the last couple of years people have worked out some pretty good hotel deals so hopefully enough people will be going this year to do that again.

Tenth Annual Parade of Trabants

Rendezvous Info
    SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 05, 2016
    10:00 am - 4:00 pm

TICKETS: FREE! NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED.

Briefing

It’s been more than 25 years since the Berlin Wall fell, but one Cold War icon is still chugging away—the Trabant. Despite their questionable performance and smoky two-stroke engines, these little cars are now affectionately regarded as a symbol of East Germany and the fall of Communism. Trabants are a rarity here, but on November 5 some of the finest examples in the US will chug their way to the International Spy Museum to celebrate our Tenth Annual Parade of Trabants. Drop in to view the vintage cars, which will be parked in front of the Museum on F Street, NW, and enter a raffle to win a ride in a Trabant. You can even be part of our annual Trabant stuffing contest! While the cars are on display, experts will be on hand to answer questions about Trabants, the Cold War, and Communism, while the Alte Kameraden German Band provides festive music. Try your hand at graffiti Berlin-style and see if you can fit into the tiny spaces like those escaping from East Berlin did.

[​IMG]
    http://www.spymuseum.org/calendar/detail/tenth-annual-parade-of-trabants/2016-11-05/

You can also RSVP here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/297208697320672/
    frogbros and BillB like this.
  2. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

I would love to go, but my car will have just arrived and likely will still be going through title/license process.
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

I'll gladly go, if I can arrange transport for it. It's over 400 miles from me.
  4. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

@RogerDerSchrauber , I understand completely. It's a good 560 miles for me but I have a good truck and trailer to haul mine on so its not too bad of a trip. Hopefully you can work something out!
  5. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

@RogerDerSchrauber perhaps someone could grab you along the way....or you could rent a trailer, Trabi's are light! almost anything could carry them!

@Caleb I edited your post to have more information and the Facebook link to the even so more can RSVP....this way we can possibly better track attendance
  6. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

planning to attend
    Hilton??
  7. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Last year @TNTrabi was able to work out a pretty awesome group rate with the 'Hilton Garden Inn Hotel" in Arlington VA and he is going to be checking with them again to see if we can get that same rate. It is a very short drive to the Museum from this hotel and we really had no complaints about it last year at all. They have an underground garage for parking our cars which is nice and they were able to ok it with a school just a few blocks away to have our trucks and trailers parked there over the weekend. I included a link to the hotel if anyone wants to take a look at it. Hopefully we will have an answer in the next week or so about possibly getting the group rate.

Obviously this is just a recommendation and anyone going should feel free to make their own accommodations if something else works better for you. this is just an option and it is nice to be able to have multiple people in the same place. Makes driving to and from the museum easier and safer. There is safety in numbers! :)

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...arlington-courthouse-plaza-DCAARGI/index.html
  8. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

I may go, no trabi with me. I have to do some work in rochester ny so I may make the drive down. If i did could i ride to the show with some one? It be a blast to hang out with other owners vs the what the hell is that car like i get at most shows.
  9. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

@tricken I am sure at least one of us would have room for you to ride!

**HOTEL UPDATE**

@TNTrabi spoke with the Hilton that people have stayed with the last couple years. Bad news is our previous contact no longer works there. Worse news is we had previously been given a group rate of about $89/night (which is a steal in DC). The new person in charge of group sales is only offering a small discount for the group amounting to about $150/night. On to the good news. We have been looking at a few other options to see if we can find a better group rate somewhere. We have located a couple options and are waiting to hear back from their group sales coordinator to discuss number of rooms and nightly rate. We are going to try to keep it close to the museum as before, at least one of our prospects seems to have plenty of parking for trucks/trailers so those of us hauling our cars would be able to park in one location instead of a few blocks away.

If anyone else has any recommendations we are open to suggestions. I will post another update as soon as I have some more information.
  10. RogerDerSchrauber

It's looking like I might use a tow dolly with my wife's Toyota Highlander. Anybody have any experience using a tow dolly long (enough) distance?
  11. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

***HOTEL UPDATE #2***

All right so the whole group rate idea seems to have fallen through on us. Every time we talk to someone with a hotel either their group rate is very little discount or they actually want more per night than we can currently book online.

We have decided that we would be booking our stay with "The Virginian Suites". We booked our room tonight. Their rates start at $79/night and go up from there depending on what type of room you choose. They have on site parking for trucks and trailers but I do think they charge about $14 for parking. They are a very short distance and easy drive to the museum. I have included a link in this post to their site so if anyone else decides they would also like to stay there, you can start looking at booking a room.

https://secure.reservation-booking-...e5c2faa&_ga=1.222762075.1736376525.1473901431

Hopefully we will have a good number of people together to make it a fun weekend! If anyone has any questions just ask! Thanks to @TNTrabi for looking into different hotel options and making the calls to find out about rates.
    frogbros likes this.
  12. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

I got a 6x12 enclosed trailer when i brought the p500 home it was a tight fit but towed great and was a single axle. I used my avalanche 1500 and did about 1200 miles like this
  13. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

@RogerDerSchrauber , I personally wouldn't go with the tow dolly. I know it can be done but depending on what kind you get and the dimensions the risk for damage seems much greater. I have heard cases of the ramps used for the dolly damaging the underside of the car. If you are looking at renting a trailer from somewhere like Uhaul I know others have used their full car trailers with the Trabants. I think that is what @turbofiat124 used last year. Here is a link.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  14. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Although I had a great time last year, the trip through DC with a conversion van, trailer and a Trabant was a bit overwhelming for me. But the parking situation made me reconsider coming back this year.

But the change of venue may change my mind.

The hotel we stayed at last year was great and close to the museum but having to park our tow vehicles at the school did suck. And trying to find the school in the dark! I think I made about five loops around the school before I realized where I was at. For some reason it did not look like a school! If it were not for John jumping out in the road, I may have made five more loops!

I mean the walk to the school and back the hotel to grab a few things out of the van was no big deal for me but I had my wife, daughter, my parents, ours and their luggage and on top of that I had to smuggle in my wife's Chihuahua! So I had to have my family shuttled to the hotel, then my wife and I and her dog road in the Trabbi back to the hotel.

So I like the idea of being able to actually park at the hotel.
  15. RogerDerSchrauber

I have talked to a lot of people recently, and using a tow vehicle and a 12 foot U-Haul trailer looks like the best option.
  16. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

made reservations tonight!
  17. turbofiat124

Yes, I rented a U-Haul last year. The trailer they rent has it's pros and cons.

The pros: The Trabant will actually center onto their trailer's ramps quite well and the tires won't hang over the edges of the ramps and the underside allows easy access to tethering the car. But takes a little bit of extra effort to center the wheels on the ramps since the distance between the wheels is narrower than a "typical" car. It has inertia brakes which works well and won't lock up in case your tow vehicle is not wired up for brakes. My van is wired for brakes but there is no plug for it on the trailer.

The cons: The trailer is designed so that the front wheels can be strapped down. This seems to be a good idea even though it's best to tether the car down at both ends and not rely on the wheel straps solely. The problem is allot of the weight of the car is shifted onto the tongue of the trailer.

As you can see the rear end of my 1/2 ton van is squatted down. But the van did was not unstable at highway speeds. I had installed a rear sway bar on it which may have helped. I just couldn't see where I was going within the DC city limits because my headlights were now out of alignment! I think John suggested I center the car over the axles to take the load off the tongue. But then I could not use the wheel straps. But since I used four ratcheting straps on both ends anyway, it probably wouldn't matter.

My guess is these trailers are more suited for longer cars!

Despite having to drive 90 miles and back to get it, my sister-in-law's boyfriend has offered to let me borrow his car hauler so I may just do that this year instead of renting a U-haul. That way I can pick it up a week in advance, maybe go ahead and load it and not have to scramble loading the car up in the dark with flashlights like I did last year and get an earlier start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way. I'll second that one tow dollies. I seriously doubt you could properly center the wheels of a Trabant onto a dolly. I was going to take my Yugo to a Fiat show in Philly. I rented the dolly, got home onto to discover that the distance between the wheels of a Yugo were too close to the center opening. I don't know if this makes any sense or not but my I was afraid one hard bump and half the car might fall through the center gap! If that makes any sense.

Also the straps that were supplied with the dolly were not small enough to wrap around a 13" 80 series tire. So there was no way to properly strap the car down and I was running out of time.

Also tow dollies fish tail like crazy. The only way I would rent another tow dolly was if I was going to haul a car across town. No more than 50 miles at 45 mph. Otherwise your constantly fighting it going down the road.

So I just took it back and paid he guy for one day and told him my problems and it wasn't going to work out for me.
  18. turbofiat124

What is the address of this hotel so I can check it out? I would imagine there are more than one in the area.

I clicked on the icon in the upper left hand screen but it said the page could not be found or missing DNS server or something.
  19. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

@turbofiat124 the address for the hotel is "1500 Arlington Blvd, Arlington, VA 22209" .
  20. RogerDerSchrauber

same here.