1. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

In the process of restoring my Trabi I thought that I should replace the bearings for the fan even though they didn't sound that bad.

I regret not looking in the manual first to see that it is recommended to use a custom puller and I ended up trying to use a 3 jaw puller that I modified to fit. It seemed to start working great.

I didn't expect it to be a big issue and the pulley started pulling just fine but then I stopped when I noticed more resistance but it was too late and I realized that the jaws had started to dent the pulley. Crap!

I will fabricate a proper puller now to finish pulling it but the damage has already been done and I am not sure if I can remove the dents.

If someone has a spare or 2 in good shape that they would be willing to sell that would be great. I know I can get one from Germany hopefully but would like to save shipping time and expense if possible.

Thanks!
  2. Tim S

Ended up making a puller. Worked great!

Should have done this in the first place... do it right the first time instead of doing it over! ;)

20190118_094557.jpg 20190118_094704.jpg 20190119_182137.jpg
    phi likes this.
  3. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

very cool!
  4. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Wow thats a great idea! I went through the very same issue, and totally ruined a pulley- it never came off(even when heated). Thankfully there was a spare fan assembly...

Hmm, wonder If I could make that on my little Atlas lathe.... :rolleyes:
  5. Tim S

Yeah, now my project is making something to press out the dents that I made in the pulley. I've got some spares coming from Deutschland but I still want to repair this for a spare.