1. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

My barkas has a few pinholes in front chassis and to get welding access i will have to drop front suspension arm a few inches . Has anyone dismantled the b1000 suspension do you need special tools . I have never worked on torsion bar and am afraid of it exploding if i just unbolt it.
  2. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

I just looked up this in my Barkas manual.

It sais:

You can only change the torsion springs if the car is fully jacked up. You need to undo the lock nuts on the torsion springs then un scrue the two holding bolts. You will then need to remove the omega ring then using a special puller pull the spring out.

Since you only want to take the arm off, it seems to me that as long as the car is jacked up you are good to go.

Where are you located? And what kind a Barkas do you have? Greetings, Peter
    Justin likes this.
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Thanks what does omega ring mean ? Its 1989 barkas b1000 kleinbus , i am in Ireland . I think it will pass MOT (annual safety test ) this year but repairs will be nescessary next year
    Justin likes this.
  4. Bountyflyer

Omega ring is a springy snap ring what shaped like a letter Omega. It holds in the sprig. To remove it you will need to use a spring loaded plyer what has round sharp ends to put inside the holes of that ring. But long story short I don't think that you will need to take out the spring. As long as the shocks are off and the car is jacked up the sping should be unloaded. Try to find the two bolts what seuri g the spring's square side. Once you relased them the lower arm should hang down enugh to do the repair. I got pictures in the manual but not sure how to copy them here for you. Good luck!
    Justin likes this.
  5. Bountyflyer

I just did my repair, it's actually pretty easy to remove the arm! Take the bolt off of the inner frame where the lower arm sits. 17mm head and large bent washer. Next take out both of the spring adjusting bolts with locking nuts. Then provided that the arm is hanging, you can use a ply bar between the inner frame and the torsion spring bar (the flat bar attached to the arm)

You can support it with a hydraulic jack so you won't scrue up the brake hose (it has 2 per side!)

Then just wiggle it out while applying the ply bar. Look at my next post, you probably will have to do the same repair....

You can see the inner frame, (my brand new muffler from Hungary!) just take out the bolt and the large washer and it will slide out after a bit convincing. It is a precision fit!

image.jpg

This is the picture of the driver side lower arm... Again, I've left everything attached, brakes, drive shaft etc.

I hope this helped, please post pictures of your repair! Very interested seeing them!

Good luck, Peter
  6. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Another question, on the outer end of the arm -the two bolts holding on U bracket did you drill them out and tap them mine look very rusty
  7. Bountyflyer

I cut the back one off with a small cutting wheel, it looked like the thread was rusted off...then it came out very slowly, turning it out then sparaying lube on, then turning it back a little again... I also sprayed a bunch of lube on the inner one thru some hole or rust and with the same technique it came right out. I first scraped all the rust off the head and used a six angle socket...make sure NOT to use impact driver! It will brake it guarantee! Please take pictures and post them!
  8. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

9. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Photos have worked (i think) have got back bolt out following your advice. I think i will leave my repair until MOT (annual safety test) expires . I don't have a welder so will remove arm at home oil and grease bolts and then reassemble and drive to garage/mechanic and let him repair it . Thanks for your post and advice peter i feel a lot more confident now and can print off your repair and show it to my mechanic
    thanks again mike
  10. Bountyflyer

Good luck Mike, let me know how it goes...

I'm using mine to move at the moment! She is loaded up to the limits and goin run after run... I'm moving into a larger place about 50 min from our current home. Trying to show the wife that there is a good reason we own a Barkas.....

With a full load she still runs about 100 km/h! I guess the engine rebuild was a sucsess!
  11. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Yes mine is used to haul the odd pallet at work or load of coal i,m always amazed how well the (tiny) 1000cc engine pulls
  12. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Just spent 10 hours today helping guy from work do a very similar repair to bountyflyers on my front suspension ,the more we cleaned ,the more rot we found but it it all nice and solid now. We made the repairs with 2mm steel (nice and thick)
    Aaron likes this.