1. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

I figure I'll post this repair I just did on my Barkas. Unfortunately the Hungarian snow did it's work and the driver side outer arm support needed some repair. It was moving while I was driving it...

First here is how it looked:

image.jpg

I was able to leave everything attached and just pulled out the lower arm from the inner frame so I have more space to cut and weld.

image.jpg

That rusty pace in my hand supposed to be attached but rotten off... A little complex at the first look but wasn't too bad.

image.jpg

Cut off the bad stuff to see what needs to be done.

image.jpg

After a little hammering and welding the first patch panel is done!

You can see how much was left of the old pace:

image.jpg

Then had to make a pace for the inner rocker panel:

image.jpg

Then welded it in to it's place:

image.jpg

The finel cross member pace was bent on my vise and reasy to install:

image.jpg

Then cut off the old rusty metal off the suspension holding arch, then installed the arm before welding it into place. It was very inportant so the arm will sit comfortably in it's place...

image.jpg

Then a little caulking and paint, good as new!

image.jpg

Now she drives strait down the road and mo more crunchy sounds from under the seat!!
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Thanks that is exactly the repair i need to do but didn't know how to remove arm. Must be a common rust spot
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Hello what thickness of steel did you use for repair panels please?
  4. Bountyflyer

Not exactly sure about the metal. All I remember that the metal what replaced the floor pan was of a thinner metal, and the formers and other stuff was out of a lot thicker one. I had some scrap metal laying around, I still have some, but I got to measure it. I will be home tonight and try to do that. Good luck.
  5. Bountyflyer

Ok , the thinner metal was 0,8 mm or 22GA sheet metal, the thicker was 1.5 mm or 16GA. I used the thinner one to replace the floor pan where I had to duplicate the round corrigated material. All the rest was done using the thicker material. Make sure that you don't buy galvanised metal what is used for housing roof repair. I hope that it helped.
  6. Keri

Keri Leader

Welding on galvanized metal releases toxic fumes, so be careful!
  7. Bountyflyer

Plus it sprays all kind a hell all over....bought a sheet by accident once and since I had it, I had to try to weld it...
  8. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Thanks again i have some 1mm lying about and will buy some 1.5mm for the box section ,I have just bought a new welder a 150 amp MIG
  9. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Can you buy patch panels that are prebent back in Hungary for these? Can you find any parts for these things ?
  10. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Mechanical parts are easy, body panels are scarce
  11. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

i always wanted a repair manual for this little van ....

but to the topic at hand, nice work ....

also i may know someone in hungary that may have panels for that van .... i ll have to cheque on a few numbers ( and hope that i still have it )