1. Phil Tracy

Phil Tracy Puttering Along

I searched the forums but no luck on this subject. I am not a pro at detailing by any means, but I usually just use basic turtle wax with the round pad, let it haze, and then dry shammy it. Sometimes if I am feeling froggy, I do two coats but that's about the jist of my skills.

But after trying it in a few places and then just going for it and doing the entire trunk lid, I can't see much of a difference in it other than removing a little of the patina. Does Duraplast not wax well or is it the paint?

I had someone recommend a product called Slick Mist that I have yet to try. It's made by Lucas so Keri might be the one to ask :)

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=79&catid=18&loc=show

Anybody have a product to recommend?

Thanks in advance,
    Phil
  2. Matteo

Matteo Premium Member Forum Donor

I'd say.... any!
    I mean you spread the wax onto the paint itself, not over the Duroplast or the steel. So I think it doesn't matter which material the body is made of.
  3. Phil Tracy

Phil Tracy Puttering Along

That is true. I will try again but it just doesn't seem like my paint "holds" the wax if that makes sense.

I was thinking maybe a boat or marine wax, since Duroplast has some of the qualities of fiber glass but I don't want to use the wrong thing and ruin something.
  4. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Wax is intended to lightly clean the paint but mostly to provide a protective layer. If it seems like your paint job isn't staying very shiny you may want to try a mild polishing compound to buff off the oxidized layer. Then wax it. Depends how far gone your paint is. Trabants have lived through a lot of air pollutants and acid rain over the years.
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

The paint on mine is very oxidized so all I have used so far is "Scratch out" in a yellow bottle.

I'm somewhat considering touching up any marks then wet sanding and buffing the old paint. You can paint a car with Rustoleum and wet sand and buff the paint and it will look like you spent $800 on paint alone! I've done this before.

Some of my favorite waxes are:

Maguire's spray wax and Turtle Wax Ultimate shine. Both are not pasty and don't leave any residue.
  6. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade