1. Aaron

Aaron Leader

So I am in the process of arranging a container from Budapest to the US..Those of you who did it, what size did you use? I was under the impression there was one standard length (around 20 feet is what stuck in my mind), but I guess I was wrong...What is the bumper to bumper length for a trabant 601? Wikipedia says 11 feet (3,360 mm)..That seems long to me. That correct?
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Standard shipping containers are 20 and 40 feet, and my repair manual says 3,55 meters for sedan and 3,56 meters for kombi. (i have no idea why it is different) :)

you can load as many trabis as you want in a 40 feet, just be creative. :D
  3. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Hmmm well crap. I thought two could fit in a 20foot container? According to that, they would be 2 feet too long
  4. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

It should be possible to make something so the rear of one of them can stand above the rear of the other one. Are you going to pack them yourself? :)
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

The guy I got my Trabbi said he from shipped a P60 at the back, my 601 on top, a Fiat 126 at the rear and another 601 on top of the 126. As far as I know they were sent in a 40' container.

But judging by these photos it almost looks as if mine was supported by a 2X4 frame in the center between the P60 and the 126. But he told me there were four cars in the container. However it looks like a 20' container to me. I load these 40' containers all the time with sacks or bulk material that is blown in so I've been in several 100 of these containers in the past 20 years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Thanks for th epictures! You dont happen to have anymore do you?
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Those are the only two photos I have. I suppose you could build a ramp like the guy did in the video Mati posted and park the nose end of second Trabbi over top of the front end.

I'd like to know how they got mind on those 2X4 stilts. Wheather they used a lift truck or drove it up there on ramps. If you look at the photo, it appears mine is not sitting directly over top of the P60 in the rear but maybe at least over the front of it.

I bet that P60 was a mess when it arrived. Mine was leaking a lot of transmission fluid from the passenger side seal when I got it! That White Shepherd stop leak has been working for almost a year!

I was offered that Fiat 126 while I was at it but declined. I should have bought it being a Fiat nutter but have too many cars as it is.