1. Erik Trabant

Erik Trabant Puttering Along

Hello comrades :)

I am a happy owner of a Trabant 601 up in northern Norway. Some friends and I plan to go to a music festival in Budapest next summer and we would love to buy one-way plane tickets down there and hopefully (if its do-able) buy a couple of Trabants and have an amazing road-trip home!

Any inputs on this plan, ANY help and or tips is greatly appreciated!
  2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

My opinion- you wouldn't be able to pick out a good car for a good price and make sure it's capable of a long trip in just the amount of time of a music festival. And besides there's the local knowledge you would need to process the purchase and do the export paperwork.
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

That's a very loooooong trip...for us Americans, it would be like driving from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Kirkland, Washington.
  4. Erik Trabant

I understand your concerns Wartburg and RogerDerschraub, i really do :)

IF we do this i think i need to have the Trabis ready before i fly down and they will have to be more than 30 years old. (easier to take them into Norway then, because of taxes etc).
    The trip home is not the biggest concern, we are not on a schedule.

Also the trabants does not have to be bought in Budapest, if someone sell 2 trabants somewhere in Poland or Germany for example that would also be a super possibility.
  5. Fritz

Fritz Newbie

Hello Erik, North Norway calling.
    I am from Ramsund a small village near Harstad. You probably know were it is.
    My wife gave me a 1988 Trabant to my 60th birthday in January this year. It is now in a garage ready for painting next summer.
    Do you have any experience painting a Trabant? For example how many kg paint do I need for a outside respray ?
  6. Erik Trabant

Hello Fritz, thats an amazing gift your wife has gotten you! I think its cool that there is now another Trabant here in the north! ;-)
    As for how much paint you need for a paint-job, I have no idea - sorry.
    You will probably get more answers if you make a post here on the forum asking that question specifically.

PS: You have lots of happy moments ahead of you, now that you are owning a Trabant.
    If you ever visit Bodø (with or without the Trabant) - feel free get in contact with me :)