2. translate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

2. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

I have been looking all over for this vid I have finely found it and can not understand a word
  3. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

First step is to take out the plugs and take off the air filter

[​IMG]

Then get yourself a dowel of some description that will fit down the spark plug hole and won't fall in. Then stick in cylinder one (the one closest to the gearbox) and turn the engine to TDC. Get down on your hunkers watch the movement closely, you'll see TDC quite easily. Get yourself a straight edge, I used a metal spirit level, but a steel rule would be good. Make a mark on your dowel for TDC...

[​IMG]

Now remove the dowel and measure up 3.5mm. Most things I've read say measure up either 3 or 4mm so 3.5 seemed a good idea to me. It's about 23 degrees BTDC.

[​IMG]

Now turn the engine back to meet the mark you've made. Now you're going to wire up a light to the +ve and -ve terminals on cylinder number 1's coil

[​IMG]

Turn the ignition on. The light may be on on or off at this point. Regardless, take the cover off of the EBZA timing unit on the end of the crankshaft then loosen the two screws on the outer plate (1)

[​IMG]

Rotate the plate until the bulb just goes out, hold the plate still and nip the screws back up. This is the timing set for number one cylinder. Now repeat the process for number two cylinder, remembering to wire up the light to number twos coil now, but this time when you're adjusting the plate, loosen the screws on the inner part (2) and rotate this until the bulb just goes out. It's necessary to do it for both cylinders because of the way the Trabant's crank is put together. The two pistons aren't always exactly 180 degrees apart. Some are 181, some 179, some even more out. Once you set it for number 2, tighten the plate screws up, stick the cover on and put it back together.

Timing makes all the difference to old cars, especially a little two cylinder like the Trabi. Every little helps. Now it's running great. I never knew that it could pull so well. The old engine took ages to get from 40mph up to 55. Now it's no bother! Well chuffed!
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.