1. Colsey

Colsey Newbie

Hi all

Just shooting the breeze really, but has anyone played around with different carburetor set ups with a view of perhaps getting a little more power?

I'm very new to trabants and i assume the standard carb is perfectly adequate for what it has to do, but eventually i plan to take mine on fairly long distance road rallies (rust permitting) and figured if perhaps different designs of carb might improve performance for long distance cruising and what not?

Kind regards

Colsey
  2. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

Yeah, search for mikuni carb and you'll find some info. Trabant parts dealers even sell kits to convert.

Whether that helps or is needed for long distance cruising, I don't know, but helps with performance, anyway.
  3. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

the stock carb works fine when its set up and working right a mikuni or a copy can add performance but arnt without there fitting issuse
  4. Colsey

Colsey Newbie

Thanks for your advice... Its pointed me to other bits of this forum where more research has been done with flat side carbs. It sounds like the added drivability that these carbs offer will be worth the possible fitting issues.
  5. kev the builder

with a mikuni carb and lightly tuned barrels the engine performes much better than stock but it takes some effort to set the carb up
  6. Colsey

Colsey Newbie

Ahh I see. What kind of work can be done to the barrels to improve things?
  7. kev the builder

That's a bit like how longs a piece of string,it can be from a little bit of cleaning the sharpe edges to a full porting job but be wary as it's a bit of a black art needing careful work as not to make the engine undrivable,matching the barrels to the crankcases and smoothing out the transfers ports is easy and gives a noticeable increase in power,for more power the ports need reshaping and opening out the crank cases also need opening out and the disc valve openings altering but this is not to be done without understanding two stroke tuning as it's very easy to ruin the engine,a little barrel work is fairly easy and cost effective if you can do it yourself as it only costs a few gaskets and a couple of carbide cutters but I've been modifying engines for years but the internet can be useful just remember less is more as once metals removed it's not easy to replace