1. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Celebrities and Trabants: Did you get a celebrity to sit in or drive your Trabant? Post some pictures of it here. I saw a news show where John Stossel slandered our beloved Trabant. I contacted him to offer him a ride in one so he would know and I could tell him the story so he would know he was way off. Months later he actually came over. First a camera crew came over for several hours and made a "file" of images and videos for the network. Than John arrived. He drove around a little after I gave him the briefest of instruction. We chatted about the car and the history, both on and off camera. When the story aired, he still had it wrong (IMO) P4076113.jpg P4076119.jpg but he had softened the bash.
  2. Keri

Keri Leader

The celebrity that you're most likely to recognize that rode in Comrade Trabi....

Bountyflier!

Most of the others have been fellow Reds who you probably never heard of but who I hold in high regard.

Everyone that rides in a Trabi is a celebrity!
  3. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

John Stossel is certainly no red. He is from Chicago Heights originally and may see you driving around when he visits his parents there. Get a pic of Gorbi in Comrade Trabi next time he is in Chicago. That would be a coup. I will conspire with you on that one.
  4. Keri

Keri Leader

Gorbachev???*
    In Comrade Trabi?... :eek:

I think maybe this might cause some kind of weird space/time disaster as Comrade Trabi goes into a violent rejection reflex.

While it would be a fitting end for Gorby*, it would be a waste of a perfectly good Mechanical Comrade and probably a large chunk of a major metropolitan area.

A much better plot would be to drive past Gorby* with a Red Flag on. Or perhaps behind while he's being filmed?

*- as a genuine car mechanic, I'm no stranger to cursing. But some words, like "Gorby" push me just a little too far and the Vikings come out!
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  5. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Wow that is a really cool story and a great share. When is the footage going to air? and/or more importantly, IS it going to air?
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

It was April 2011 when he came over. The original offending story was probably in October of 2010 . The seconds they used was probably more months later. I will have to check actual dates.
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I think I remember the show. John Stossell was slandering the Trabant. It was one of his shows on Fox or CNN about government telling people what they can and cannot do and how the East German government gave people one choice for cars and it was the Trabant.

As special as I think the Trabant is, I guess it would be like everyone in the US having a single choice for cars, a Toyota Camry.
  8. Keri

Keri Leader

Just one choice? What about Wartburgs?
    Or any other car you could source. Trabant was merely the least expensive and the best.

Advice:
    Don't believe ANYTHING you might see or hear on Fox "News".... It's an entertainment channel.
  9. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I thought Wartburgs were mainly used by government officials or if you worked in the government and had money. Not a typical working man's car.
  10. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That was kind of the gist. It had plenty to do with education choices. (I say his analogy of few choices of cars and our choices of education is way off.)
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

There were choices of cars, Keri is right. The best car for a worker to have is the Trabant or no car at all. No dis to other marques, just my opinion.
  12. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I think Gov. officials generally had a Volvo. Someone may wish to correct me, but I saw plenty a Volvo over there and was always reminding Germans, east and west, that it was great that they could pronounce those v's correctly in Volvo but not in any English word with a v that they uttered.